Results night megathread

TheTeapot

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The establishment figures that ran last night mostly got back in Watterson, Skelly, Quayle, Cregeen, Robertshaw, Malarkey, Boot that's most of a council of ministers there if you chuck in Crookhall

I'd be surprised, no I'd be stunned, if Quayle gave a ministerial post to Cregeen or Malarkey (his first test!). I think it unlikely he'd be foolish enough to consider an MLC for such roles (his second test!). If he doesn't use MLCs he will have to fill ministerial roles with some newly elected MHKs who even by MF definition cannot (yet!!) be consider the establishment .There are 8 ministerial roles and most likely 3 of your 'establishment' figures that could fill them: Skelly, Robertshaw, Boot.

The next week or so should be interesting. I hope and expect the majority of Ministers to be new, fresh, eager and untainted.

PS: Howard, if you are reading this, recognise I am putting it on the line here with Declan!

IO

Let's hope you are right.

If I was Quayle I'd give Malarkey the DOI. It's the biggest electoral turd you can hand out as in 5 years time whoever is still in there's career is truly fucked after taking responsibility for that complete clown show. Getting a Ministry isn't always a reward!

Malarkey won't care. The aim was another 5 years to the pension prior to attempting to sneak into mlc territory or retirement.

It's an incredibly poor choice to have him back at Home Affairs. There were much better candidates across the board (even newbies) than him. I think him and Boot are the only two duff decisions. Everything else seems pretty logical; well maybe not Skelly either to be honest.

The establishment figures that ran last night mostly got back in Watterson, Skelly, Quayle, Cregeen, Robertshaw, Malarkey, Boot that's most of a council of ministers there if you chuck in Crookhall

I'd be surprised, no I'd be stunned, if Quayle gave a ministerial post to Cregeen or Malarkey (his first test!). I think it unlikely he'd be foolish enough to consider an MLC for such roles (his second test!). If he doesn't use MLCs he will have to fill ministerial roles with some newly elected MHKs who even by MF definition cannot (yet!!) be consider the establishment .There are 8 ministerial roles and most likely 3 of your 'establishment' figures that could fill them: Skelly, Robertshaw, Boot.

The next week or so should be interesting. I hope and expect the majority of Ministers to be new, fresh, eager and untainted.

PS: Howard, if you are reading this, recognise I am putting it on the line here with Declan!

IO

Let's hope you are right.

Declan, you were right and humble pie being eaten!

Howard....WTF were you thinking? Malarkey, Cregeen? Was there no one better? Seriously.................

IO

Malarkey won't care. The aim was another 5 years to the pension prior to attempting to sneak into mlc territory or retirement.

It's an incredibly poor choice to have him back at Home Affairs. There were much better candidates across the board (even newbies) than him. I think him and Boot are the only two duff decisions. Everything else seems pretty logical; well maybe not Skelly either to be honest.

He may have played a smart card by returning Skelly to DED. I reckon there is still quite a bit of fallout to land from recent dealings the DED were involved in so it seems reasonable thinking to let Skelly sink or swim as those matters get sorted out.

If things don't look good in 6 months or so Quayle can always move Skelly out and give someone else the role.

As a sort of coda to the election results, I though I'd look at the make-up of the new House of Keys and see how it differed from the previous one. The one feature that everyone comments on is the number of women members - five out of 24. It is a new record, but it's worth pointing out that there were four women MHKs between 1974 and 1976[1]. So to some extent women's representation went backwards over the last 40 years[2].

Internationally though, even 5 out of 24 isn't that outstanding. If the Island ranked as a sovereign state it would still only put us at number 84 in the list, jointly with Monaco (the Conseil National also has 24 members, five of whom are women). It's still an improvement on the previous 4.2%, which would have put us at number 180 and was by far the worst figure in Europe, but it's still not very impressive from a place that likes to brag about how early it gave women the vote.

But another, less recognised, change is how much less Manx-born the new Keys is. Just under half (48.1%) of the resident population in the 2011 Census was born in the Isle of Man, but, of those elected in 2011, only six (Robertshaw, Cannan, Crookall, Cannell, Singer, Rodan) seem to have been born off-Island[3]. Despite four of those not being in the new House, the number of those not born on the Island has gone up to 13 with Allinson, Perkins, Harmer, Thomas, Shimmins, Boot, Caine, Baker, Hooper, Bettison and Moorhouse all born in the UK[4], though again some such as Hooper, were educated here and most have lived on the Island for decades. So the new Keys is more representative of the Island's population.

[1] Jean Thornton-Duesbery , Katherin Cowin and Elizabeth Quayle were all elected in 1971 (in Thornton-Duesbery's case re-elected) and they were joined by Betty Hanson after a by-election in 1974. Hanson (mother of the failed G&P candidate) later became the first women to be elected to LegCo - though there have only ever been three (her plus Crowe and Christian) and are currently none. Which suggests that a lot of the problem is inside the system rather than the electorate.

[2] A lot of the details in this comment are derived from the very useful House of Keys 1417 to Date - Chronological page on the Tynwald website.

[3] Details mainly taken from Tynwald biographies as above. In some cases only date or year of birth is given with no place, so I have assumed Manx birth from early education details. Crookall clearly came to the Island very young and Cannan in his early teens - the rest as adults.

[4] Many details also derived from the Candidates page on the Manx Radio Election 2016 pages as not all new MHKs have yet filled in Tynwald biographies.

I clearly remember J-TD, Katie Cowin and Elspeth (she was perhaps Elizabeth but known as Elspeth) Quayle. All three were, in my opinion slightly crackers (perhaps women politicians had to be in those far-off days) and rather full of themselves. J-TD was a typical Bluestocking/Colonialist/last-days-of-the-Raj/jolly hockey sticks type.As you say (well, infer Rog) it was a shame that female representation momentum wasn't maintained. Mind you, after Pamela Crowe, I'm sodding stunned that another woman was ever elected.

Only one woman minister though.

5/24 = 20% ish.

9/24 = 37.5% ish (Comin)

Should have been 1 more woman in Comin.

Sexism still alive in Manx politics. I can think of three women elected that should be running Cregeen's, Malarkey's or Skelly's roles.

Not 1 woman in LegCo.

Not 1 woman in LegCo.

I disagree. Corkish and the bishop are the fussiest old women you're likely to meet.

Yes. I would imagine they lean over the garden fence like a Les Dawson sketch pulling funny faces at each other with their arms folded.

• ans unpinned and locked this topic

Archived