Nobel Prize For Zimmy.

hagar the horrible

Bob Dylan passed me totally by until I went to university where I met a very pretty Walloon Engineer who owned a big brass bed and played his albums on a scratchy record player to candle light (ah the memories) and since then his songs have been a part of my life

My favourites - hard to whittle it down, but here are some:

Never was into Bob. Always thought he sounded like he was zonked out on downers. I'm reminded of a one-liner in a Zappa song;

"Wanna buy some Mandy's Bob?".

"Mandy's", or Mandrax (Methaqualone) are quaaludes, an hypnotic gleefully abused and very popular among coke-heads which guaranteed slumber after a 20-line party.

His nasal, thin and reedy voice always did grate.

The only songs of his I liked were those recorded by others.

He did however, steal the show in 'Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid'.

Yes, that's the one. One of many atmospheric tracks in the film. The production got into trouble for burying turkeys up to their necks in some dirt, using them as target practice and blowing their heads off, laughing all the while on film, during the opening scene for real! Apparently the movie was as historically accurate as archives would allow and being a fan of authentic Western's I'd say it's one of the best out there.

Blimey, thanks for that Jude, Just looked at the guest musicians on the soundtrack. Have a gander if you haven't already, there are some big names in the credits; two fine drummers/percussionists, Jim Keltner and Russ Kunkle, and other very-recognizables. Great!

Might buy some 'Wild Turkey' gut-rot bourbon later and lose myself in it, at volume, tonight😉.

Nice one fella ...

Dylan's soundtrack to Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is great and so is the movie - if you watch the right cut. The original cinema edit is to be avoided, as is the third cut released in the 1990's if I recall. The second edit is the one to go for and it really lifts the film to true greatness. I've watched all three but the magic is missing with the inferior versions. It's hard to say exactly what it is because the editing is quite subtle, but it makes a huge difference to an appreciation of the film. I under-rated the film for years until someone pointed this out to me. Hope you enjoy it....smile.png

Yeah, I must've seen all cuts numerous times over the years and enjoyed them all, especially so the first time I watched in HD through a decent hifi.

Still of the opinion that music lyrics shouldn't be counted as literature in the purest sense.

Yeah, hope so, I haven't seen it in years. It's definitely a film that grows on you too.

I disagree about lyrics and literature though. Most song lyrics are throwaway of course, but something like Dylan's words and imagery on Desolation Row are at least comparable to (I would say easily surpass) T.S.Eliot's poem The Wasteland, one of the C20th most lauded works. I thought Irvine Welsh's comments this week about Bob receiving the Nobel prize were his usual drivel. I wouldn't wipe my ass with one of his books.

It's a shame that the media still tend to rehash the usual Dylan clips, songs and cliches; as he is far more than the guy lodged in the public imagination. I'd recommend Blood on the Tracks to anyone who doesn't really get the whole Dylan thing. No one ever comes back after that.

Archived