More families leaving the island than arriving

GD4ELI

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.gov.im/media/1353196/2016-q2-economic-quarterly-report-public.pdf

Families may be leaving but the Comin figures to June are showing a slight population increase.

It says property prices are up 2% too. How the hell do they arrive at that?

Quite easily really.

There are only about 6-700 residential property transactions per year. Any big ticket sale (which are rare and perhaps in very low single digits per year) has an impact on the average sale price of the other properties.

As far as I am aware they do not do a detailed analysis of specific house types to really get a flavour as to what is happening.

The map on page 31 here: http://positiveactiongroup.org/index.php?option=com_attachments&task=download&id=199

bears out GD4's assertion that some go to the south west, but less so than other places. This of course does not take account of those moving in the opposite direction.

I was only going by people I've met down here and Manx-registered cars outside the local estate agents.

Most going to the north-west makes a lot of sense - historically very close ties since the age of tourism, in fact the direct reason I was brought up on the Island.

You don't half talk some crap. So you hang around West Country estate agents waiting for people in Manx registered cars to turn up and you claim it happens all the time? You're just the perpetual forum prophet of doom sitting in your smug excursion in the U.K. You''re a bitter pathetic man.

https://www.gov.im/media/1353196/2016-q2-economic-quarterly-report-public.pdf

Families may be leaving but the Comin figures to June are showing a slight population increase.

It says property prices are up 2% too. How the hell do they arrive at that?

Quite easily really.

There are only about 6-700 residential property transactions per year. Any big ticket sale (which are rare and perhaps in very low single digits per year) has an impact on the average sale price of the other properties.

As far as I am aware they do not do a detailed analysis of specific house types to really get a flavour as to what is happening.

I thought that was the case. Not scientific is it? Meaningless.

Of course Manx people are leaving too but hopefully more UK people are going back home after sponging off us for long enough. Less people = less costs. I know quite a few people who were here only a few years and then left but we paid all their kids to go go uni. Yet encouraging more of such people is meant to be a good economic plan? Give me break.

I can only assume this is a wind up.

I wish it was but I've sat listening to people in a company telling people exactly why they're here and encouraging otherwise to use this Island for these reasons. The idea these people with the tax they pay and the services they sponge off are somehow contributing to our economy in a positive way is simple bullshit. They also push up property prices making houses unaffordable to locals. Overall I think we're well rid if they fuck off. x

Of course Manx people are leaving too but hopefully more UK people are going back home after sponging off us for long enough. Less people = less costs. I know quite a few people who were here only a few years and then left but we paid all their kids to go go uni. Yet encouraging more of such people is meant to be a good economic plan? Give me break.

I wish it was but I've sat listening to people in a company telling people exactly why they're here and encouraging otherwise to use this Island for these reasons. The idea these people with the tax they pay and the services they sponge off are somehow contributing to our economy in a positive way is simple bullshit. They also push up property prices making houses unaffordable to locals. Overall I think we're well rid if they fuck off. x

Are you Laurence Skelly?

You could argue the Island sponged billions off the UK for decades, which it then squandered it on vanity investments through poor oversight, e.g., the modern art project that is Pulrose power station.

​But hey-ho, it's all one way, isn't it....

You were fortunate to live through one of the most prosperous times in the island's history and you moan about it? Think about where the island would be now without the advent of the offshore finance industry once the arse fell out of the tourism trade. A lot of people would probably have spent the last few decades at a food bank, if you were here at all. Most would have had to migrate across to get a job to make ends meet.

Archived