Detained by mental health but culpable for what you say?

oldmanxfella

I find this confusing.

A lady is detained by mental health services, staff admit she's had the biggest melt down she's ever had, she is being supervised for her own protection, yet somehow she's deemed to be responsible and lucid enough to be done for making racist remarks.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/woman-guilty-of-racial-abuse-1-8258014

Clearly not mental enough then?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it count as being psychopathic when your sole point is to troll people in a vague attempt at appearing witty and clever though?

I read this story and thought the same as you oldmanxfella. She was ill, they admit she was ill and shouldn't she have the right to have her medical life kept private like the rest of us? I wonder how helpful it is to someone with a mental health illness to have that fact splashed all over the news.

She'll be the victim in all of this though.

You know that an inability to show any sort of empathy is a trait common in psychopathic individuals?

I wonder where you fall on that spectrum...

To be fairly the only reason I made that comment is so that you could jerk yourself off.

Plenty of people have psychopathic traits to their character. It is a lot more common than you think and not always a bad thing. The world would be fucking awful (and boring) if we were all the same (or like you).

What contribution mental health issues might have made, I am not qualified to speak of but a long history of court appearances for drug involvement, assault and theft can be added to the report. Regular appearances made in the papers in the last 5+ years in respect if such.

Does it count as being psychopathic when your sole point is to troll people in a vague attempt at appearing witty and clever though?

I read this story and thought the same as you oldmanxfella. She was ill, they admit she was ill and shouldn't she have the right to have her medical life kept private like the rest of us? I wonder how helpful it is to someone with a mental health illness to have that fact splashed all over the news.

To me they either have mental impairments or not. If you are mentally impaired then you're not in control of the thoughts in your head or your actions. On that basis how the hell can you be consciously racist? If this person was indeed detained in a mental health unit for her own safety how they hell can they judge that she was consciously racist? Racist words may have come out of her mouth but she may well have had no concept of what she was saying in the circumstances.

It just looks like a stupid sentence to me.

It seems her mental issues are surprise surprise caused by drug use. No sympathy, it's really fucking simple - to get your life back on track stop doing drugs. She needs to take responsibility for her own actions

It seems her mental issues are surprise surprise caused by drug use. No sympathy, it's really fucking simple - to get your life back on track stop doing drugs. She needs to take responsibility for her own actions

drugs ≠ mental health issues

Could it be that as the result of mental health issues and an absolutely appalling mental health service she chose to self medicate in the first place?

People make mistakes, some of these involve drugs which can put them in a cycle of more and more bad choices.

The lack of a drug rehabilitation program on the Island makes this worse.

Too often, on the Island, the judicial system is used to 'control' people with mental health issues.

The figures recently released show an obscene percentage of inmates in Jurby are recieving treatment,(pills not therapy), for mental health issues, many of whom committed their crimes as the result of these issues.

With no secure mental health facility on the Island, Jurby is being used as a substitute and prison officers, with little or no mental health training, prison officers are the ones trying to pick up the pieces and fill in the gaps in the system.

Archived