Detained by mental health but culpable for what you say?

oldmanxfella

Therein lies the problem with mental illness. The general perception is that mental illness equates with hearing voices and wearing tin foil hats and not having a clue about what is reality. No wonder people with mental illness feel stigmatised and ashamed to discuss their problems openly. The reality is that most people at some time or other in their lifetime will experience a degree of mental illness and seek professional help.

Mental illness does not equal lack of mental capacity for the majority. And for some individuals, as alluded to above, entering the judicial system may actually be in their best interests, as they will then have access to probation, court orders etc which will allow treatments otherwise unavailable.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And of course, the mental health "industry" does seek to embrace as many people and situations as it possibly can to further its own interests. Thus, any crime, misdemeanour or even personality trait can invoke the attribution of "mental issues" to the individual.

I find this confusing.

A lady is detained by mental health services, staff admit she's had the biggest melt down she's ever had, she is being supervised for her own protection, yet somehow she's deemed to be responsible and lucid enough to be done for making racist remarks.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/woman-guilty-of-racial-abuse-1-8258014

Clearly not mental enough then?

The whole thing is completely ridiculous and should never have reached a court of law. The prosecution should be thrown in prison for wasting public money. This is another fine example of institutional and personal bigotry and discrimination against mental illness, apparently the last acceptable form of bigotry.

Like I always say...follow the money.

More money to be made in prisons than there are in mental health care.

And no matter which it is, the legal industry always have their slice of the pie, hence it going to Court. Absolutely sickening. It's like a 21st century version of slavery, if you really look into it. You have vulnerable people, or just innocent people (e.g. victimless "crimes"; determined to be "crimes" by the same vultures who profit from criminalisation), and people make money by locking them up. That to me is the buying and selling of persons (their freedom) for profit.

Quite, but then I wasn't claiming that the mental health industry is "inventing" crazy people to further its "agenda"

nor was I, I was just saying it is an industry.

Yep. I am surprised that rmanx doesn't agree with us on this. It isn't so much inventing them as claiming whatever their issues are as being within the "mental health" domain. The "agenda" is no secret - the filthy lucre.

Quite, but then I wasn't claiming that the mental health industry is "inventing" crazy people to further its "agenda"

nor was I, I was just saying it is an industry.

You and I know it is an industry in the same way that bakeries form the baking industry.

Wooley was referring to the "industry" implying that there is some plot and evil agenda behind mental health.

Many of the comments in this thread are general about the system. Mental Health on the Isle of Man, like childcare, is an industry. It helps to keep a lot of people in good employment and that industry is entirely in their control.

The same for the so-called justice and legal system on the Isle of Man.

Fuck me, for an Island of 85,000 people there is a shitload of people paid a shitload of money.

What a disturbing world you seem to inhabit.

Archived