Ramsey's decline continues

BallaDoc

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parking isn't an issue. Bowring Road and Albert Road both have free car parks which allow all day parking and are within an easy walk of all shops. St Pauls also is free but like the street and quay, is time limited. A multi storey would solve nothing.

As for demolishing St Pauls - its in private ownership so the owners would have some sway - especially the ones who own residential property. This has got chuff all to do with the Commissioners who with one notable exception are a bunch of clowns.

Open a shop and you'll soon work out what the problems are. Same old issues - rents and rates are usually ridiculous. Small footfall in the Isle of Man is a difficulty for some shops. Finally the problem of competing with Amazon.co.uk et al. It's not just Ramsey, the whole UK is slowly going the same way. Coffee shops, charity shops, restaurants, hairdressers, click & collect depots will be all that is left ultimately.

& arty gift shops

This has got chuff all to do with the Commissioners who with one notable exception are a bunch of clowns.

yeah to be fair the chairman is a good guy

the bald fella with a big beard though (it's a common look) is a right c**t

I am very biased but.... Ramsey is filled with numerous niche independent shops and I would much rather that then the faceless branded could be any small town in the UK high street that Douglas is becoming

The Victoria Mall and St Paul's Square could do with some renovation or demolishing but as has been pointed out already these are in private ownership so there is only so much that can be done about those places

the bald fella with a big beard though (it's a common look) is a right c**t

Yeah, he makes Eric Bristow look sophisticated.

what an insult to Eric Bristow

In the seventies and eighties, Ramsey was THE place to shop. It had T. H. Corkills and lots of other shops superior to those available in Douglas.

It had the same attraction and buzz that Tynwald Mills had, until their prices became unrealistic.

Even up to about 2000 Ramsey was the place to go on a night out - most pubs had a live band on a Saturday night and there was always the excitement (genuine) of how the night would finish with a visit to Nightlife.

There are still some excellent shops, but like Castle Street in Douglas, you hardly see anyone in the shops.

It must be soul destroying hoping against hope for some footfall, let alone an actual purchaser.

When the internet is full, things will get back to normal.

...................well I think Ramsey is a great place to shop, the shop's are just full enough to be friendly without being too busy, folk are friendly, there's enough good parking and there seems to be a big enough variety of shops and food and coffee outlets for my needs................and then of course there is the Mooragh, oh yes, love the place............so there!!thumbsup.gif

The rents have nothing to do with the rates

I thought the rateable value was linked to and calculated from a notional annual rental return.

In the context of the point Non believer made he said rents were responding to rates which I assume was implying that rents were high because they included rates. Which they don't. The tenant pays those separately.

Archived