Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

33 minutes ago, Neil Down said:
1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Gibraltar gets 20 cruise ships a month...we get the same a season. Are there really that many cruises covering the Irish Sea?

Methinks much of this proposal is about telling people what they want to hear, with few reality checks on the build, usage and post-Brexit seascape.

I fear the government are being hypnotised over this, and taxpayers money will be pissed away...again.

Our government being hypnotised...surely this cannot happen :rolleyes:

Kenny Craig

10 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'm hoping that the promise of private funding is real, the risk is then not ours.

The island has quite a lot to offer, we just can't see it sometimes. What has Orkney, Skye, Shetland or Guernsey etc got to offer? These are cruise ship destinations too/

they don't charge landing fees, the gov. pay....

so thats private investment out......

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Gibraltar gets 20 cruise ships a month...we get the same a season. Are there really that many cruises covering the Irish Sea?

Not vast numbers out there.

http://crew-center.com/liverpool-england-cruise-ship-arrival-schedule-2017

Many websites list the cruise ships port schedules, the one above gives you Liverpool for this year as an example

13 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'm hoping that the promise of private funding is real, the risk is then not ours.

The island has quite a lot to offer, we just can't see it sometimes. What has Orkney, Skye, Shetland or Guernsey etc got to offer? These are cruise ship destinations too/

I believe Guernsey has duty free shopping and doesn't need this sort of investment anyway as it already has a deep Port. Shetland (a major oil tanker port already) and Orkney (which has Kirkwall/Halston which is one of the deepest ports in Europe and is the deepest commercial port in Scotland) already have commercial deep ports too due to the North sea oil traffic so also don't need to make this sort of capital investment to attract cruises so it's an add on to the economy at little extra cost. Both are quite small and very scenic and very much heritage type destinations. I doubt there is ever a penny exchanged in the shops though but if you have the infrastructure anyway due to the oil industry it's probably a nice little ad on. As I said I think the driver for the IOM is some sort of VAT claim they can make against each landed tourist so it's not about spend in shops. If our VAT relationship changed as a result of Brexit I can't imagine revenue from the shops or from spend in the local economy comes anywhere near making a dent in the capital investment required to build this structure. 

Edited by MediaStar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Give the problem over to Cretiney and firestarter. Within months, we'll have a state of the art pier going 2 miles out from the bottom of Broadway.No expense spared

Who is fire starter? The only one I know is no longer in government. 

I know we have been led down the garden path before, surely lessons have been learned? This in my mind is certainly worth exploring further and while we all have opinions on MF, we must be encouraged by the fact that private investment could be forthcoming?

If there is little risk to the island, what can go wrong? Surely there is a lot to gain if things stack up and we keep things at arms length? 

25 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I know we have been led down the garden path before, surely lessons have been learned? This in my mind is certainly worth exploring further and while we all have opinions on MF, we must be encouraged by the fact that private investment could be forthcoming?

If there is little risk to the island, what can go wrong? Surely there is a lot to gain if things stack up and we keep things at arms length? 

You get to an age where you get cynical on the basis that everytime these sort have schemes have been touted in the last 40 years the private investment mentioned at the start usually fails to materialize. Other ports haven't needed to make the investment that is required here to make it work so it's a nice add on. You're not investing £10-20m on the back of a shaky business case. As I said above due to the offshore oil industry Shetland and Orkney already have deep ports that will take cruisliners as they're already large commercial ports making millions off the oil industry activity. If you get a few cruise liners on top great as it's not costing you much to accommodate them (even if they spend nothing). Our business case is very different. 

Edited by MediaStar
  • Like 1

How much to really go for it and expand Douglas harbour so it can take the much larger ships and ferries common elsewhere so that new tonnage and/or new operators can get their RoRo/RoPax ferries into the harbour?

At the moment you are restricted in terms of alternative operators to the Steampacket. The restrictions also mean that it is very difficult to buy or charter ships able to use Douglas harbour..So ships usually have to be newbuilds or old rust buckets from a previous time when ships were smaller.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

:lol:guess your taking the mick.......

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MediaStar said:

You get to an age where you get cynical on the basis that everytime these sort have schemes have been touted in the last 40 years the private investment mentioned at the start usually fails to materialize. Other ports haven't needed to make the investment that is required here to make it work so it's a nice add on. You're not investing £10-20m on the back of a shaky business case. As I said above due to the offshore oil industry Shetland and Orkney already have deep ports that will take cruisliners as they're already large commercial ports making millions off the oil industry activity. If you get a few cruise liners on top great as it's not costing you much to accommodate them (even if they spend nothing). Our business case is very different. 

invergordon is the busiest for cruise ships in scotland.....