Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

This is a no brainer.

If we are serious about bringing tourists back to the Isle of Man, this is a very good way of doing it. The bucket & spade brigade are long gone.

Cruise ship passengers spend excessively whilst ashore.

Make it happen Laurence.

• Like 2

This is a no brainer.

If we are serious about bringing tourists back to the Isle of Man, this is a very good way of doing it. The bucket & spade brigade are long gone.

Cruise ship passengers spend excessively whilst ashore.

Make it happen Laurence.

And people say that satire is dead ...

It wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that the passengers of one modestly sized cruise ship (say 2,000 persons) would spend more money here in one visit than horse tram / steam train / electric tram enthusiasts would put through the tills in one year.

As I repeat, if the Isle of Man is serious about increasing tourist numbers, this is a very canny way of doing it. An awful lot of repeat visits would spin off as shore-goers fall for our scenery & charms.

I'm happy for you to propose another way in which we can attract large spending swathes of people to our shores?

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2

WTF would large swathes of upmarket tourists want to come ashore here for ? seriously !

We don't have shops of any note, Douglas looks very tawdry, countryside is superb but needs time for exploration !

If this were to happen it must be part of a wide ranging uplift of all we have for it to be a long term success.

• Like 5

WTF would large swathes of upmarket tourists want to come ashore here for ? seriously !

We don't have shops of any note, Douglas looks very tawdry, countryside is superb but needs time for exploration !

If this were to happen it must be part of a wide ranging uplift of all we have for it to be a long term success.

I think you're missing the point & failing to see a bigger picture.

It's a viable way of promoting & stimulating the Island, hell, it might even mean we get to keep the bloody horse trams!

People need to expand their outlook on what is possible. The British Isles are a huge draw to visitors and I happen to think we are a hidden gem. Reading your response, I'm unsure why you still bother to reside here. Deary me.

• Like 2

Asitis - the island can be reached to any point in 30 minutes or so from Douglas. Day trip or overnight visitors have time to go to places other than Douglas. You do realise that right?

But why would they? Quaint villages and empty fields are hardly a Manx exclusive.

I'm given to understand that cruise passengers are overfed on cruises ,at every opportunity , and when in "port " the organised trips consist of a coach trip around the island with perhaps a "comfort stop" at the Sound then an hour in town to by a souvenir then back to the boat for more food.

Frankly I can't see that the Island will be making a fortune from these day trippers , but if private enterprise wants to give it a go then good luck to them.

I did go on a cruise , many years ago , around the Med and did all the "trips" in port and I don't think things will have changed that much.

If it was such a spiffing wheeze to build a deep water berth then I would expect those proposing it would be keen to fund it , I wonder how the 'crowdfunding' appeal would go for such a venture !

Still I expect talking about it gives a few government employees a reason to 'justify their salary'.flowers.gif

• Like 2

£50m investment repaid in 5 Years?

I am sure that the private investors who back this will be delighted.

The Government should welcome them with open arms. Maybe the Government should give them an incentive, say £500. One of our MHKs could be put forward to open the facility.