Deepwater for Cruise Ships

Manx Bean

Surely the berthing dock wouldn't need to be built here. I'm sure I read somewhere it's feasible to build these kind of things elsewhere in some far flung dockyard in eastern Europe for peanuts and ship it here to put in position? Is the £50m the cost when you add in consultancy fees and cuts for the middle man?

Will cost a lot more after Brexit mind

We haven't left Europe.

Well done. Here is a cookie.

But when we are out of the Single Market, etc, that will make buying something from another country in Europe more expensive.

Cruise ship passenger will pay about 180 dollars for a trip up the mountain.

They get fed on board.

They don't spend anywhere enough when they are on shore to warrant spending anything over what we have already spent on a cruise terminal.

Exactly it's all bollocks designed to keep civil servants in jobs drawing up bollocks.

• Like 3

They get fed on board.

They don't spend anywhere enough when they are on shore to warrant spending anything over what we have already spent on a cruise terminal.

Exactly it's all bollocks designed to keep civil servants in jobs drawing up bollocks.

For once (as far as I can see) this is private enterprise project although of course DED will take the credit.

They get fed on board.

For once (as far as I can see) this is private enterprise project although of course DED will take the credit.

So they're going to magically berth their boats are they in our shallow harbour and it's all going to cost the taxpayer absolutely zero? Dream on.

• Like 2

They get fed on board.

Think of the size of the new Department of Maritime Affairs. Cruise ships, a (part) nationalised ferry service... We'll never be able to get rid of the lazy fuckers.

• Like 1

They get fed on board.

So they're going to magically berth their boats are they in our shallow harbour and it's all going to cost the taxpayer absolutely zero? Dream on.

I didn't say that. What I said was that the private sector is driving this not DED (on behalf of the taxpayer).

The private sector may be driving this but they are expecting tax payers to fund it!

If it's such a good idea they would want to keep all the Returns for themselves. They don't want to - they want Govt to share the risk. That should tell you all you need to know.....

To be fair, you do need the government onboard for something like this - you don't want them fighting it every step of the way, it'd be a bollocks

The private sector may be driving this but they are expecting tax payers to fund it!

If it's such a good idea they would want to keep all the Returns for themselves. They don't want to - they want Govt to share the risk. That should tell you all you need to know.....

To be fair, you do need the government onboard for something like this - you don't want them fighting it every step of the way, it'd be a bollocks

I agree Govt would have to be involved for approvals and planning etc but not financing or financial return guarantees.

• Like 2

My prediction about this gathering its own momentum without recourse to common sense appears to be happening rather sooner than I anticipated, MHK's are now citing cruise ship passengers as a reason we must keep the horse trams the full length of the prom and have voted to do so !

I predict cruise ship passengers will be the buzzword in government circles for the foreseeable future !

• Like 1

For one, I suspect £50m was just plucked out of the air. Two, if Government fund this they really are stupid. Three, anyone who thinks cruise ships justify keeping the horse trams they are deluded and in need of a happy slap.

There seems little point in trying to attract cruise ships here if there is next to feck all for the poor souls to do when they land. More than once last summer I saw gangs of bedraggled, cagoule-clad passengers desperately trying to find something to do having walked Strand Street in the pissing rain. i even once witnessed a coach load of passengers being dropped outside Jurby Junk. I kid you not!!

As much as i love the isle of Man, it is what it is. It is not a dream cruise ship excursion destination.

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 1

it's a thought.

you've been at sea for god knows how long, and living in the in the lap of luxury.

what better reminder of terra firma for the seses than the clip clop of a work horse pulling you alœng a victorîana promenade.

and all the while the reminder and reality of your true life is bobbing about in the bay

keep the trams the full length