Number Plate Query

Rhumsaa

Hello

I have a knackered old car in my garage that used to belong to my mother. It's not moved in 30 years and goodness knows when it was last taxed.

What will have happend to the registration? Will it have just been absorbed back into the system or will it still be assigned to the vehicle and owner?

If the latter - how do I go about recovering it? Has anyone had similar experience?

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gov.im online services has a searchable databse of available plates, would be my first port of call. Suspect that with no tax it will have gone back into the system.

https://services.gov.im/transport/highways/services/CherishedNumbers/CherishedNumberEntry.iom

ETA MANX-007 twenty grand!!!

Yeah it is in there

So that's lost to me unless I pay the £2500 then?

Interesting senario this. How long out of tax before the number gets put back into the system? I have an old motorbike which is in the process of being done up and will be for a couple of years yet. The tax has ran out two years ago. So I called the licencing dept before christmas and they said that so long as I have the log book and its not declared scrapped or exported, the number will remain on that logbook therefore will still be mine and assosiated with that bike. So do you still have the logbook with that number on?

How long to lapse though Mojo? We dont have SORN here and there must be hundreds of bikes and cars parked up in garages around the island waiting to be done up. My father in law has a triumph tiger 100 mid rebuild and hasnt been on the road for 30 years or more. The yellow logbook is with it and he enquired, albeit about 2 years ago and the number was still on that bike.

gov.im online services has a searchable databse of available plates, would be my first port of call. Suspect that with no tax it will have gone back into the system.

https://services.gov.im/transport/highways/services/CherishedNumbers/CherishedNumberEntry.iom

Yeah it is in there

post-1143-0-05467700-1492278830_thumb.jpg

Yeah it is in there

attachicon.gifnelson.jpg

your sympathy is appreciated as always

How long to lapse though Mojo? We dont have SORN here and there must be hundreds of bikes and cars parked up in garages around the island waiting to be done up. My father in law has a triumph tiger 100 mid rebuild and hasnt been on the road for 30 years or more. The yellow logbook is with it and he enquired, albeit about 2 years ago and the number was still on that bike.

If that is correct, they are not doing their job correctly and will piss loads of people off who, like me, paid for a "Retention Certificate" and paid up each year to keep a "cherished" number.

general rule is that if not "taxed" for 2 years, you lose it.

Sorry, no idea and the Government's website is not very helpful either. Guess you'd have to call them.

I think much bollocks is being talked here. I suspect if you take the log book and a picture of the car in its current confition you should be able to claim the original reg back...if there is the intention of putting it back on the road. There was a massive DoT clear up of old registrations 5 or 6 years ago, assuming many, like yours, had been long scrapped.

I will call the lovelly people at the licencing office on tuesday and get an answer. I have five bikes out of tax for over two years and was told in the past that once tested again they can go back on the road with their original numbers. The numbers would only go back in the system for sale to others if the vehicle is known to be scrapped or exported.

I think much bollocks is being talked here. I suspect if you take the log book and a picture of the car in its current confition you should be able to claim the original reg back...if there is the intention of putting it back on the road. There was a massive DoT clear up of old registrations 5 or 6 years ago, assuming many, like yours, had been long scrapped.

Why would you suspect that, when the whole point is to raise money from "reg. plates" ?

Archived