Number Plate Query

Rhumsaa

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's not as bad as it was but there was a right little cottage industry going on between certain parties at one time. It's a bit harder now with that tariff.

Number plates should be on vehicles. If they are not then they should be available to anyone. Rather than people putting them on retention to make a turn on them.

It's not all about making a turn on them, in my mother's case as with many others she was hoping time and money permitting to have it restored and returned to the road one day.

Well it's not as bad as it was but there was a right little cottage industry going on between certain parties at one time. It's a bit harder now with that tariff.

Number plates should be on vehicles. If they are not then they should be available to anyone. Rather than people putting them on retention to make a turn on them.

It's not all about making a turn on them, in my mother's case as with many others she was hoping time and money permitting to have it restored and returned to the road one day.

A car has to go back through Manx test if it hasn't been taxed for 2 years so there can be no real justification for swiping the number before then as you still own the car and have a log book in your name with that number on and potentially you could tax it and use it at anytime before it needs to be re-tested. I'd say after that it gets a bit messy in terms of do you still own the number.

It's a con here as Rhumsaa says though because in the UK you can apply to get the number back or to get an age appropriate number for a car that's maybe been restored and been off the road for a while whereas here you have to buy it (or a similar age appropriate number) back off IOMG for whatever ridiculous price they have put on it in the meantime.

Charging for number plates is all "part of the government savings" (?) perhaps .

It's desirable( for some folk ) to keep the original registration with the vehicle , and as a previous poster has pointed out a 'new number plate would not fit on a vintage/veteran vehicle.

Just sayingflowers.gif

Charging for number plates is all "part of the government savings" (?) perhaps .

It's desirable( for some folk ) to keep the original registration with the vehicle , and as a previous poster has pointed out a 'new number plate would not fit on a vintage/veteran vehicle.

Just sayingflowers.gif

Agree - as Burt says above who would want to go to the cost of restoring a classic bike and then have to spend another few grand buying the original number back off those cheeky twats or riding it round with a brand new number on it (which looks draft) as that's all you can afford. You don't have to do that in the UK. There should be a way in genune cases to allow people to reclaim them. Especially if like Rhumsaa you still own the car. It isn't all about money either as hardly any of those numbers for sale by IOMG online are actually getting sold as the prices on them are just stupid.

Anyone who pays more than the basic fee for a number plate is a fucking idiot. How fucking sad do you have to be to cherish a fucking numberplate? Grow up you fucking weirdos.

Why such angst or is it "humorous"? It's what people want to spend their money on. I find it sad that someone spends a tenner on a packet  of something they then set fire to at a detriment to their health but I don't come on here and assassinate their character for so doing.  

Some of us spent a whole £50 to put an old reg on an old vehicle whilst having a standard issue on the daily driver. That's not the same as spending £10 grand is it?

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

:) I wouldn't have choosen the word cherish. It does sound a bit weird to cherish a number.

However I do very much cherish the bike it's on. Some might say that's a bit weird too. 

Not if it's a fine example of "british iron" ( well if like me the bike was the one you lusted after when you were a "spotty yoof" but were too "potless" to buy..... lol)

Archived