BE WARNED - There's Another Manx Telecom Roaming Charges Rip-Off!

Fossils

Just to clarify a little:

1. I have a contract phone, supplied by MT.

2. I switched off data and roaming in the same way as I have done for years on this and previous phones, exactly as per printed instructions from MT.

3. My phone and/or MT has now "decided" to ignore/override this instruction.

4. I will not be paying these extra charges.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can you prove you switched it off?

Or your son/daughter didn't use it? Or you have a rogue app you've given too many permissions to?

Not judging...just saying.

The electric light analogy mentioned earlier will be quite valid IMO.

I wish you luck. But I'm thinking you'll have two hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope IME.

Or your son/daughter didn't use it? Or you have a rogue app you've given too many permissions to?

I wish you luck. But I'm thinking you'll have two hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope IME.

I posted in the first place as an alert to others who may find themselves similarly overcharged.

A precedent has been set.

As I said earlier, someone who has had a similar problem and a bill for £hundreds has had it refunded. That indicates that MT have accepted responsibility and I was told by the MT Man that bills for £Thousands are involved.

MT Man...
That's your wallet after you've paid em.

I've got an iPhone (prefer Android but it's pretty shit in the Isle of Man but that's a whole different story) and I run it on Pay as you go so it's cheap as chips and I don't have to worry about getting fleeced like this. The most I'll get fleeced by is a fiver until my credit runs out and then a quick text will lash some more credit back onto my phone after I've switched roaming data off.

If you can afford to buy a phone outright is really much point in being on contract anymore?

WiFi is so common now that on island data usage must be minimal. People don't tend to spend huge amounts of time talking on the phone. Texts are becoming less used.

Indeedy. Texts are rare if you have whatsapp etc. Calls too with decent wifi and apps.

Mobile is a continually changing business model, continually stretching network providers. Just as email, spam and adverts kills off vast numbers of letters and revenue for the post office.

Perhaps one day, networks will have to be maintained by governments, like the roads, but who wants that?

I run PAYG too, everything is on wifi. No point forking out a shitload for a contract ("BUT I GET A FREE PHONE", I hear my friends cry... Look sugar, £30 a month for 2 years is not free).

For OP, I'm pretty sure you didn't disable data properly, because yes, nowadays "turning data off" doesn't cut it for some reason (mainly Apple, never had the problem with android)

Ah, I've just checked and it is now £7. When I signed up a few years ago the cost of the home broadband was £24.95 and they knocked a tenner off with a contract, but strangely the standard price has gone down! So its not such a good deal anymore, although its still only £15/month with your contract.

In went and asked in the Port Erin shop about line rental the other day seeing as MT are bumping their price up. The guys in the shop reckon it'll stay at £13.50 so I future they'll be getting more money out of me soon. MT can fuck off.

Archived