BE WARNED - There's Another Manx Telecom Roaming Charges Rip-Off!

Fossils

The whole thing is caused by us having a non UK provider, where is the advantage for us in this? We miss out on broadband deals, roaming charges, phone charges etc etc.

Perhaps if we didn't have a local provider we would be treated as a rural backwater I suppose, we may miss out on a lot more?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A recent operating system update seems to have opened this backdoor.

John,

I can't seem to find anything to support this. As far as I'm aware, on Android Settings>Mobile Data>Data roaming (toggle off) stops any mobile data usage, foreground or background, when roaming. Can you clarify?

John,

I can't seem to find anything to support this. As far as I'm aware, on Android Settings>Mobile Data>Data roaming (toggle off) stops any mobile data usage, foreground or background, when roaming. Can you clarify?

Go read the link I posted above

Telecom advice years ago was to disable data and remove (or nchange) the apn settings to make sure no data is used.

I assume it's the same now.

As others have said it's your device so your responsibility, especially since they sent you a courtesy text to warn you you were using data.

If you leave a light on do you expect a refund from the electric

John,

I did.

I may have missed it, but It doesn't seem to say anything about mobile roaming, just about controlling data usage on one's home network?

John,

I did.

I may have missed it, but It doesn't seem to say anything about mobile roaming, just about controlling data usage on one's home network?

Ermm. Doesn't matter what network you're on, does it? Roaming on MT is expensive. Sometimes even with data and roaming off background data use occurs. That's how you switch it off, wherever you are.

I have mobile data off even here on iom as I update and download at work or home via WiFi.

John,

I did.

Ermm. Doesn't matter what network you're on, does it? Roaming on MT is expensive. Sometimes even with data and roaming off background data use occurs. That's how you switch it off, wherever you are.

I have mobile data off even here on iom as I update and download at work or home via WiFi.

It does, I'm afraid, if my understanding of the Android settings is correct.

As far as I'm aware, the Data roaming setting switches off all data transfer when roaming, foreground and background. The background data switches allow more granular control of data usage, once data has been enabled.

Similarly Settings>More>Data usage>Moble data (toggle on/off) if switched off would not allow any home data usage, foreground or background.

But it would be nice to know definitively, particularly if there has been a recent change.

Some net searching time later...

Who better than Google to answer this question definitively for Android!

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/2819524

---------------------

These instructions are for devices running Android 7.0 and up.

---------------------

Turn mobile data on or off

You can conserve data by turning off access while you’re connected to a mobile network. If you do this, you’ll be able to use data only when you connect to a Wi-Fi network.

To turn mobile network data access on or off:

• Open your device's Settings app.
  • Tap Data usage.
  • Tap Mobile data.
---------------------

Turn off data roaming

When you're in an area not covered by your operator's network, data roaming lets your device use other operators' networks. Your operator may charge extra for data roaming. You can save data and data roaming fees by turning off data roaming.

Bear in mind that data roaming may be the only way to connect to the Internet in some places.

To turn data roaming on or off:

• Open your device's Settings app.
  • Under "Wireless & Networks", tap More Mobile networks.
  • Switch Data roaming on or off.

Googling this is not necessary. By selecting 'Help' on my phone this info is clear to see. Perhaps the OP is a little unfamiliar with the settings.

So not an MT rip-off as alleged...

True. I did find that my Android device, as supplied by MT, came with absolutely everything switched to enable or max. It used to eat data and power initially. Took a bit of time to work out what apps I really needed and what power/display levels were adequate...now it's a bit more realistic. Perhaps they could do this a bit more at the point-of-sale though?

On my iPhone, I have 'data roaming' permanently off, and if I go across, I turn 'mobile data' off completely. Also, as I'm only on a 1GB monthly data contract, I keep an eye on the mobile data usage, and reset the stats at the start of each month. And, MT send me a text once I've used 500MB in any given month.

This problem is so well known, with news reports coming out periodically about someone being charged 10 grand for listening to The Archers Omnibus edition while on holiday in Estonia, that it really is 'user beware' I think.

I'm curious to know how much it costs (if anything) for your phone to keep searching for a data connection, as seems to be the case at least half the time due to lousy signal coverage even in central Douglas. When my phone is switching between H and low 4G and back and forth, is a charge being accumulated????? I assume that searching for a data signal involves sending and seeking data of some sort.

I'm curious to know how much it costs (if anything) for your phone to keep searching for a data connection, as seems to be the case at least half the time due to lousy signal coverage even in central Douglas. When my phone is switching between H and low 4G and back and forth, is a charge being accumulated????? I assume that searching for a data signal involves sending and seeking data of some sort.

The connection to the mast is a fixed cost (i.e. your contract cost) and would not change simply because the signal strength changes from H to 4G or anything else. When downloading data you are charged by the data size not the time it takes to download, so the cost should not alter. Of course, with lower quality connections there is a greater chance of something failing to download so it could cost you more on the basis that you have to attempt the download again.

Archived