Standards in public life

Boo Gay'n

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

I did read a lot of the comments on some of the facebook groups and shake my head at how "holier than thou" everyone seemed to get.

I suspect it'll be the last time Kate shares anything publically though.

What an age to be in.

The most unsettling comments of all made on the FB discussion were those made by Karen Angela. That woman is seriously disturbed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, manxb&b said:

The most unsettling comments of all made on the FB discussion were those made by Karen Angela. That woman is seriously disturbed.

Her comments on FB are often quite incredible. It amazing she managed to con 287 people into voting for her at the last election. 

7 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Which is hilarious, as it's putting your name to ramblings, as opposed to here where you can do it anonymously

I think a few on there are anonymous as well Tarne

2 hours ago, manxb&b said:

I didn't read many of them it all seemed a bit much

16 hours ago, wrighty said:

There's too much offence seeking behaviour these days. I've even heard of someone going round trying to find someone who might be offended by an email, even though they personally weren't but didn't like the person who sent it. 

Kate Beecroft should be judged on her performance in government, not by what she puts on FB (as long as it's not illegal, and not being used otherwise for announcing government policy)

There's also often too great a readiness to (uncritically) report on the reaction a post on twitter/facebook provokes.  For instance, the Manx Radio page has

It's been branded as 'misogynistic' and 'offensive' by viewers online

which might be fine if the majority of the comments on Kate Beecroft's post were branding her as such and there was some kind of political storm brewing as a consequence, but that isn't the case---hell, even one of the three comments other than Beecroft's own that are quoted on the Manx Radio story is supportive of her.

The story here (if there is one) is, as Glady's pointed out, the post itself, and not that a handful of people have decided that, by the Rules of Social Media, Beecroft is now a misogynist.  To illustrate the point, the same comment stream could be used as the basis for the headlines Minister declared a good laugh after post, or Some people offended by Minister's post which some others found a bit funny, opinion of majority remains unknown----each is equally as true as the actual headline.

Archived