London fire: Lives claimed at Grenfell Tower

woody2

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard about it on the Radio!!!

Good God! Biggest Fire in London since WW2 IMO!

And they Broadcast a Story that a Woman tossed her Baby out of a Window and a Man on the Ground caught it in a Improvised Net using his Jacket as a Catcher.

Hope the Mother managed to make it out! And whoever caught the Baby is now a Fucking Hero!

If the Babies Mother perished and there are no other Relatives, the Hero might have the Option of Adopting the Baby.

Here is the Story about it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/baby-dropped-10th-floor-grenfell-tower-caught-man-ground/

No Word on who the Hero is who caught the Baby but when he is Revealed, he will become the Toast of the Town and will not have to pay for his Pints for a while.

3X3

1 minute ago, RIchard Britten said:

A lot of fire services cut in London over the years.  I imagine that will have an effect on available manpower/engines and response times.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/firefighters-cry-as-10-london-stations-including-clerkenwell-close-due-to-cuts-9050079.html

This happened under BoJo under a Tory government.

Not that the those affected by this will care at this point.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

27 floors 6 flats per floor if I heard right = 162.

I think the fire started on about the 5th floor of 20 residential floors.  I think the first 4 floors are mixed commercial/office.  So about 15 floors appear to have been affected.

If that toll stays anywhere close to 6 it will be a miracle.    It's horrific.  Imagine having to throw your baby off the 10th floor to save it?

39 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

A lot of fire services cut in London over the years.  I imagine that will have an effect on available manpower/engines and response times.

They were there in 6 minutes were they not?

The escalation of the fire appears clearly beyond the control of the fire service.

I wondered how long it would be before somebody used a disaster to blame the Tories

Harriet Harman and Corbyn on R5 about an hour ago making good political capital of of a tragedy. All to do with the council cuts apparently. 

How's about waiting for the official report before telling the nation that sprinklers would have saved this desparate and horrible event from happening. Without being too direct they both suggested that sprinklers had not been installed because of tories cuts despite the tower block being built in 1974. However Corbyn did say it all in a calm reasonable manner. He is SO nice......

I was beginning to think he could actually be a different type of leader but he's just as cynically opportunist as the rest. 

There was a fire last New Year's Eve in my billet that is 16 flats ground and upper floor...The fire was in 14 I am at 12...We have always been told to stay in and wait to be rescued.. No thanks!...Anyway, it was surreal...Only two people were upstairs and came down...The rest were at a party in Flat 1..

The Fire Brigade arrived and did what they do and the party went on!...I sat outside on  a bench with the man whose flat was on fire...He called the 999 and then came out with his cat...The alarms went off anyway and I went up to see about it when I saw a rolling bank of velvet smoke coming down stairs towards me..

I asked if he had shut his door and he had...Anyway, Firemen with air tanks went up stairs, threw a rope out, hauled up a hose and they were there for an hour.

The party went on...We had initially two fire engines and all the time four police on site...

Trouble is there was water everywhere but it missed my billet...The flat below 14 was flooded...Then the Fire Brigade produced a wind machine that blew all the smoke out of the building as well as anything that was not nailed down..

Anyway, the Fire Brigade did their inspection afterwards and said that our new fire doors in the corridors are not fire doors...Our flat doors are not fire doors...They had been newly painted also with oil paint which is no longer allowed...

We are being fitted with new fire doors internally and in the flats and the corridors and the paint must be water based though it looks like acrylic to me...

The walls over the fire doors must be rebuilt as they are stud work and hollow and the fire and smoke can rise up through them...

Our fire extinguishers save for the meter cupboards are water filled and apparently you can't have those any more due to the electrics.

Standing orders are to not use the fire extinguishers but to leave if your flat is on fire and raise the alarm...Other than that stay to be rescued as we have fire doors (Save they are not fire doors)...The two people upstairs came down one in pyjamas and left his teeth behind so he went and sat in his car in the car park..

The property was built in 1979

Two people had to be rehoused...

And so the party went on! It was a New Year to remember and ironic bearing in mind the saying "Long may your lum reek"...Well it reeked real good for ages after!

I would imagine the Grenfell Action Group will be feeling quite angry.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

if you can replace the heating system you can retrofit a sprinkler system. maybe the facade was deemed more important.

" The Grenfell Action Group predict that it won’t be long before the words of this blog come back to haunt the KCTMO management and we will do everything in our power to ensure that those in authority know how long and how appallingly our landlord has ignored their responsibility to ensure the heath and safety of their tenants and leaseholders. They can’t say that they haven’t been warned!"

if you can replace the heating system you can retrofit a sprinkler system. maybe the facade was deemed more important.

Maybe. Just like other disasters it will be considered and recommendations will be made public.

Nah, never mind waiting. We can manipulate this tragedy against our political opponents now. The embers are still glowing and the remains of the people trapped have still to be recovered but we'll still go for the broad brush of tory cuts as the cause ....He has now revealed he is just as despicable as some of those opponents.

6 hours ago, woolley said:

I had the same thought when he said that. A lot of fingers seem to be pointing at the new cladding - reminiscent of the hotel in Dubai. Wouldn't like to be the firm involved in that job.

The firm involved in the job have just subtly dropped that building off the list of their recent contracts on their website.

Archived