Manx Gas Standing Charges

La Colombe

26 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Really ??? Manx gas will no doubt make ONLY 9.99999999999% profit. I admit you are far smarter than I am, but again, really ???

Did I say “only”? I said that it was too much and that 5% would be more realistic.

I also think the shocking truth will also include research that proves conclusively that banding is actually better for poorer, low volume, consumers.

MG have just offfered the option to switch back to low standing charge, higher gas price, as a publicity stunt.

It was always a mistake to think they could sell it.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, John Wright said:
28 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Really ??? Manx gas will no doubt make ONLY 9.99999999999% profit. I admit you are far smarter than I am, but again, really ???

Did I say “only”? I said that it was too much and that 5% would be more realistic.

Who believes their profit was 5% ?

The thing I worry about a bit, now that I will soon be expected to go back into my cave and sleep, is that the public by protesting brought an end to "banding up". Overuse (if there is such a thing) penalises customers and can push their five year average into a higher band. Manx Gas only temporarily agreed to stop up-banding. Once customers have a choice again many I feel will get caught out in the winter months later in 2019. Time will tell.

13 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I am not sure if any of you guys are interested, but Manx Gas do intend to have Q&A sessions soon. When I know more I'll post it. 

you're not really expecting actual straight answers are you??  commercially confidential and all that...................

17 hours ago, John Wright said:

My view is that standing, or periodic charges, are a bit like rates, or Council charge, we don’t like them or the way theyre imposed, but alternatives, like poll taxes aren’t popular either. Of course generally they were low, however.

The MG banded standing charges were an attempt to make it economic and reflected Council charge banding in principle.

Hang on there...in 1991 when the poll tax riots were on in the UK and the community charge came in instead and VAT went up by 2.5%, people here didn't pay community charge so got the VAT increase back as free standing charges for electricity. That was taken away when they reintroduced the electricity standing charges a few years ago.

This means, in reality,  we now get charged 22.5% VAT rather than 20%. They should give us that money back for either gas or electricity standing charges.

Yet another rip-off stealth tax from IOM Govt on many least able to pay it.

Archived