Manx Gas Standing Charges

La Colombe

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously there is a great amount of discontent in the Isle of Man about a lot of things that are going on, and the elected elite just seem to be interested in parish pump issues and not getting down to tackling the real concerns which makes one wonder if they just are not up to solving them or worse not realising they exist.

2 minutes ago, mannin1 said:

The people being hit the hardest by this, cannot afford the option of changing to oil !

and the gas people know it,  it doesn't help the man in street when government/local housing have been retro fitting gas boilers  in previous oil fueled houses and removing  coal fires and capping off chimneys.   i know electric aint cheap either but it may be cheaper than gas??    anybody got any comparisons with neighbours they could share?

40 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Every gas customer should cancel their direct debits and pay their bill as late as possible, by cheque. The idea behind this standing charge nonsense was to stabilise a cash flow for Manx gas, so disrupt it.

Thats what i do. You get three disconnection notices before they cut you off. That said, last time i only got two. 

If you wanted to be a pain in the ass you could formally request a copy of every single piece of data they have concerning you.  Correspondance, account data, notes, emails, the lot.  I think they are obliged to fulfill the request.  If I'm talking rubbish I'm happy to be corrected.

There is a real live person who works in their accounts department (might be more than one but I only deal with one person so...). Why punish her because you're annoyed with Manx Gas? How much work do you suppose loads of cancelled direct debits would be? Won't somebody think of the book keepers? :D 

48 minutes ago, WTF said:

and the gas people know it,  it doesn't help the man in street when government/local housing have been retro fitting gas boilers  in previous oil fueled houses and removing  coal fires and capping off chimneys.   i know electric aint cheap either but it may be cheaper than gas??    anybody got any comparisons with neighbours they could share?

That's the practical solution for people in small flats etc who are complaining about the standing charge.    

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Seriously there is a great amount of discontent in the Isle of Man about a lot of things that are going on, and the elected elite just seem to be interested in parish pump issues and not getting down to tackling the real concerns which makes one wonder if they just are not up to solving them or worse not realising they exist.

I've got parish pump on ignore so no idea what his issues are ;)

Archived