Manx Gas Standing Charges

La Colombe

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perkins has been in the job for the proverbial 5 minutes, hardly long enough to get his head around such issues. I'd say he's clearly just spouting from whatever cassette is inserted into the back of his skull.

And it does happen; a couple of weeks ago Chris Thomas stated that the mantra for everybody re the economy under the previous CM was to be that GDP was the pointer of everything.

It's simply regurgitating the policy/line of the moment. Regardless of fact, reality or true circumstances.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:21 PM, notwell said:

I don't have an issue with the concept of a standing charge.  Where I do find it wrong is that my next door neighbour can be on band D and I'm on Band G because I use more gas.   The cost of getting it to us and maintaining the network is the same yet I'm getting stiffed for being a better customer.

Fully agree it was mainly this that made me shell out and change to oil ! which is probably the best money I have ever spent !

That was about it. He also said the door is always open to discuss giving customers a good shafting.. err, to discuss to standing charge.

I suggest forming an orderly queue outside the door just before office closing time. Back as far as the railway bridge should test that public announcement.

The serious question that has not been covered is the role and responsibility of a regulator?

I have my own concept of what that role is and how it should proceed.

What I have seen of this particular system bares no relationship to the regulatory body one would expect of a modern democracy over-seeing  a monopoly.

One would expect total independence of government for starters.

How can the Office of Fair Trading negotiate a deal as a regulator then oversee the process?

What domestic/business user of energy would EVER BE INVOLVED IN BEING TIED INTO A FIVE YEAR PLAN??????????????????

UK energy users are persistently told to by their regulator to look for the best deal.

Energy costs are totally volatile in the present climate so why a five year plan was ever entered into by a government dept is ludicrous.

The Office of Fair Trading need to revisit why they were set up and who are they representing.

Archived