Manx Gas Standing Charges

La Colombe

11.7% of what ... the unit cost is already eye watering in comparison to other suppliers !

All new houses have gas boilers, my daughter asked the builder to swap theirs for oil and they would pay any extra ... she was told we can't do that they have to be sold with gas boilers ! I wonder why that is !

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, asitis said:

11.7% of what ... the unit cost is already eye watering in comparison to other suppliers !

All new houses have gas boilers, my daughter asked the builder to swap theirs for oil and they would pay any extra ... she was told we can't do that they have to be sold with gas boilers ! I wonder why that is !

what happened to "the customers always right"?,i'd have told him to stuff his house if something as simple as a boiler couldn't be changed.

32 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The people who are suffering are tenants who have no option I really feel sorry for them as Manx Gas have a special deal on which is great for landlords but not for the tenants who have to follow through and pay exorbitant bills.

Is this the scheme in which the boiler is leased from Manx gas ?

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

"Mr Perkins says Manx Gas signed a regulatory agreement with the OFT - which is unlikely to be amended because a few don't agree with it:"

How out of touch is this clown, is he the new David Quirk of OFT? Just in case he reads these, it's not a few people who don't agree, more like the other way around. Do the government look for the most gullible mhk to look after this non effective  outfit?

What an arrogant twat. Let's hope a few hundred turn up for this.

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

"Mr Perkins says Manx Gas signed a regulatory agreement with the OFT - which is unlikely to be amended because a few don't agree with it:"

How out of touch is this clown, is he the new David Quirk of OFT? Just in case he reads these, it's not a few people who don't agree, more like the other way around. Do the government look for the most gullible mhk to look after this non effective  outfit?

IIRC the Agreement was voluntary.

So Perkins says suck it up .......or words to that effect, the deal I was on about was the one on MR almost continually not sure of details. Binding until late 2018 apparently.  Several people I know have been lucky enough to be able to afford to change to oil, unfortunately the more people who do this, less gas will be used and the gas company will increase their charges accordingly.  I have yet to hear of anyone whose gas bill has gone down, pure fallacy and a belief in fairies but I think quite a few of our MHKs do spend time away with the fairies and it is rubbing off.

2 minutes ago, notwell said:

Isn't it binding until next year? 

Yes, but what do you think the odds will be for MG signing up on another agreement, voluntarily?

If they can't make decent profits with a 10% cap on ROCE and increase the standing charges, do you think they'll sign up to the same agreement terms again? Who's to say that they won't insist on 15% cap on ROCE next time around??

Isn't it about time they signed up to an agreement that had the interests of the captive market at the heart of it?

I can't help thinking that there's something rather iniquitous about the current agreement, albeit a voluntary one.

2 hours ago, twinkle said:

what happened to "the customers always right"?,i'd have told him to stuff his house if something as simple as a boiler couldn't be changed.

I think there must be some hidden arrangement whereby the houses have to be sold with gas, she can of course change it now but with the associated mess involved it is more of a pain ! 

It just shows up the inadequacies of the Dept. of FT why do they not disband it that would save a few bob.  Do not forget the investigation into the Steam Packet that cost 100 grand and came to nought. I am sure the Fie Brigade could take over the Christmas lights warning and the Police could do fraud.  See Howard how easy it is when you put your mind to it !!!!

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

What an arrogant twat. Let's hope a few hundred turn up for this.

Im sure with a bit of luck, at the next general election, a local commissioner in either Onchan or Garff, will decide to challenge Mr Perkins. Poor David Quirk got absolutely slaughtered as a result, of the OFT, and I'm sure the Manx Gas report etc, was a contributory factor in his failure to be re-elected. Martyn Perkins is coming across as a 'I know best' and 'I'm a first class know it all and expert' character, wrapped up in his own self importance. However, in some respects he is correct, it is pointless protesting, a) nothing will done or noboday will listen b) Tynpotwald will make a few noises but ultimately do nothing and c) the vested interests in the Island will have already made their views known to the powers that be.

Archived