IoM Teachers 'worst off' in British Isles

manxman34

11 hours ago, dilligaf said:

It can't be too bad here. A fair few local people who have trained as teachers can't get an opening here as half the jobs ( or more) are filled by people from across.

Work that one out.

This was partly my point really.

A few of my daughters friends are teachers.  One recently finished Uni and has a primary school job here but there were very limited numbers of opportunities in teaching.

She did her placements and experience for her degree in the UK and she wasn't keen to work there as a teacher.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, notwell said:

This was partly my point really.

A few of my daughters friends are teachers.  One recently finished Uni and has a primary school job here but there were very limited numbers of opportunities in teaching.

She did her placements and experience for her degree in the UK and she wasn't keen to work there as a teacher.

it would be interesting to know how many graduates return to work on the island,one of mine left 25 years ago and is still AWOL to this day.

......four of mine gone, USA, Denmark and two in UK, one has stayed and has no wish to go anywhere else.........all graduates.........I don't think it's all because there are not the openings on the island, more because they prefer San Francisco, Copenhagen, Brighton and Shropshire as places to live.......

43 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

......four of mine gone, USA, Denmark and two in UK, one has stayed and has no wish to go anywhere else.........all graduates.........I don't think it's all because there are not the openings on the island, more because they prefer San Francisco, Copenhagen, Brighton and Shropshire as places to live.......

I didn't return (Electronics, 1979). Interesting big old world out there so worked in UK, Germany, Belgium, France, USA & Switzerland. IOM's fine for a holiday (visited mother twice a year for 30 years) but as a place to live while you're still enjoying life? That's a decision each must make for themself.

A former Manx born neighbour has worked in both jurisdictions (now in UK). Their PGCE was done on the Island but I think the accreditation was done by Liverpool (might be wrong with that). He only worked on the Island for a short while in a couple of primary schools and left because he would have been waiting for dead men's shoes. And the promotion ladder was a case of being next in line and who you know, not what your track record says.

As far as I know, he has had three teaching posts in UK. First was a short-term maternity leave contract, the second was a school that went into special measures(?) shortly before he arrived (which, for obvious reasons, he wasn't told about) - where he was both verbally and physically abused by kids and parents - and is now in CofE school where, he says, if all schools were run on the same basis there wouldn't be a need for schools to go into special measures. 

Archived