IoM Teachers 'worst off' in British Isles

manxman34

7 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Agreed Andy but what about those who moved here before the goalposts were moved? They had no chance to beware.

Given the UK finances at the moment, I might suggest that the same could easily happen over there. Especially after Brexit.

How many people are we talking about in that position?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Agreed Andy but what about those who moved here before the goalposts were moved? They had no chance to beware.

Well this also applies to many of us in respect of the crass stupidity of splitting the state pensions. What a bloody mess.

How many people are we talking about in that position?

Dunno, I personally know a few but likely all teachers are concerned that further goalpost moving is very likely.

Those considering coming here that we need will probably not take the risk because of all this, hence the thread.

3 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

Things change.

I've lost count of the amount if tines I've had my terms or benefits changed in a job.

No one should be immune from having terms and conditions changed.

2 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

Dunno, I personally know a few but likely all teachers are concerned that further goalpost moving is very likely.

Those considering coming here that we need will probably not take the risk because of all this, hence the thread.

There are many factors that someone takes into account when relocating.

It might well be, for example, that someone could move here for a promotion or better chance of promotion.    And end up better off financially. 

Of course matters evolve and nobody is saying t&cs should be rigid but there is a limit if we do something very different from accepted practice elsewhere. 

If our esteemed leaders move the posts too far, people will leave or not apply and then our children will be educated sub-optimally. 

Of course there may be other factors such as promotion but you are cherry picking a bit there. I can't see someone from the northwest, where houses are cheap, on say £25-30 k relocating here with our living costs unless there is a significant advantage. That does not seem to be the case any more which may answer the original question.

17 hours ago, woolley said:

OK, so there are decent places in the UK. Of course there are, and lots of them. Stu's comment is broad brush and lacks nuance, BUT there is no "shit hole" in Douglas that comes close to even some of the more select "shit holes" in the UK for sheer degeneracy. That is a fact. Festering shit holes in the Isle of Man, if there actually are any worthy of the name, are sheer amateurs in comparison.

Typical feckless Manx just not putting in the effort to reach the required standard!

Is the issue that a public sector employee, such as a teacher of 10 years stending, moves to the island from the UK their pension pot comes with them. After sticking at it for, say, 10 years, they then feel they have had enough of typical manx cuisine like stewed rams horn so they move back to the UK. Thay retire at 60 with 40 years service - 10 in the iom and 30 in the UK.

So is it 20 years is in the IOM pot and 20 years in the UK pot?

If the IOM pot pays out taxed at a flat 20% rate I can understand how it would piss people off. But don't they realise that the IOM Public Sector Pension Deficit needs all the help it can get....

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Is the issue that a public sector employee, such as a teacher of 10 years stending, moves to the island from the UK their pension pot comes with them. After sticking at it for, say, 10 years, they then feel they have had enough of typical manx cuisine like stewed rams horn so they move back to the UK. Thay retire at 60 with 40 years service - 10 in the iom and 30 in the UK.

So is it 20 years is in the IOM pot and 20 years in the UK pot?

If the IOM pot pays out taxed at a flat 20% rate I can understand how it would piss people off. But don't they realise that the IOM Public Sector Pension Deficit needs all the help it can get....

I've already debunked this PK. Please keep up. In the scenario that you describe it will be taxed only in the UK!

Just now, woolley said:

I've already debunked this PK. Please keep up. In the scenario that you describe it will be taxed only in the UK!

Sorry. In Chester atm trying to look interested in shopping for shoes and handbags.

Direct me to the relevant post please. Info I need. Ta.

38 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Sorry. In Chester atm trying to look interested in shopping for shoes and handbags.

Direct me to the relevant post please. Info I need. Ta.

Hope you find something that goes with your hair.

ETA: https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/personal-tax/non-residents/non-resident-pensioners/

There you are. I wouldn't have done it for anyone else. Just you, PK. Just you.

22 hours ago, woolley said:

OK, so there are decent places in the UK. Of course there are, and lots of them. Stu's comment is broad brush and lacks nuance, BUT there is no "shit hole" in Douglas that comes close to even some of the more select "shit holes" in the UK for sheer degeneracy. That is a fact. Festering shit holes in the Isle of Man, if there actually are any worthy of the name, are sheer amateurs in comparison.

No, it isn't a fact. The festering shitholes on the Isle of Man, and there are, at least according to the government are in Douglas, Ramsey and Castletown and are closely linked to areas of social housing. Much as they are in the UK. I have no idea how 'degenerate' they are, and nor do you, but in terms of income deprivation they match similar areas in the UK.

16 minutes ago, Expatriate said:

No, it isn't a fact. The festering shitholes on the Isle of Man, and there are, at least according to the government are in Douglas, Ramsey and Castletown and are closely linked to areas of social housing. Much as they are in the UK. I have no idea how 'degenerate' they are, and nor do you, but in terms of income deprivation they match similar areas in the UK.

I very much doubt that.

Archived