Death of former High Bailiff

Mij

Sad news tonight that former High Bailiff, Weldon Williams, has passed away, aged 90. He served as Deputy High Bailiff from 1977 until 1988, and was High Bailiff from 1988 until 1995. Born in Wales, he moved to the Isle of Man in 1968, fell in love with the island and never left it. No one who met him ever forgot him, for all the right reasons.

11 hours ago, Mij said:

Sad news tonight that former High Bailiff, Weldon Williams, has passed away, aged 90. He served as Deputy High Bailiff from 1977 until 1988, and was High Bailiff from 1988 until 1995. Born in Wales, he moved to the Isle of Man in 1968, fell in love with the island and never left it. No one who met him ever forgot him, for all the right reasons.

I used to clean his office along with those of Deemsters Corrin and Cain so it was a long time ago. He was allowed to smoke in (I am not sure if it was Government Offices or the Courthouse as I did them all at some stage)....Anyway, he of all of the people in that building was allowed to smoke indoors when there was a "No smoking" rule.

As a result the cleaners called him "Smokey Joe" and of course his den needed extra effort cleaning.

There was a large stand alone electric fan on a pole blowing all the time and the windows also were always open.

I suppose this was the concession "Smoke but use a fan to blow the smoke through the windows".

I think he smoked a powerful pipe or it was something pungent anyway although he had gone home for the day by the time we cleaners arrived. 

I suppose an example of "Don't do as I do. Do as I say!".

Archived