MUA in weak financial position

asitis

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, asitis said:

The legal opinion said it was arguable in court that the public purse could have walked away from the loan, but the damage to the islands reputation and credit rating was probably too severe. I don't believe for one minute that no one in government knew what was happening and was told by someone very close to the whole matter that the enquiry was a waste of time in view of what Party A knew about Party B. The fact of the matter is we are stuck with debt and a power station which at conservative estimates cost 90 million more than it should have done. 

But it does look nice

21 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I'd imagine there'd be a few people with a picture of it hanging pride of place in one of their houses.

IIRC, at the time there was talk/proposals for a waterfall display behind that glass frontage too? Perhaps a feature too far...?

6 hours ago, asitis said:

The legal opinion said it was arguable in court that the public purse could have walked away from the loan, but the damage to the islands reputation and credit rating was probably too severe. I don't believe for one minute that no one in government knew what was happening and was told by someone very close to the whole matter that the enquiry was a waste of time in view of what Party A knew about Party B. The fact of the matter is we are stuck with debt and a power station which at conservative estimates cost 90 million more than it should have done. 

Walking away from an illegal lone should have been the way to go and let those that orchestrated it take the rap instead of the easy target - the taxpayer.

As it is, it shows the Isle of Man Government takes it up the jacksie from the legal big boys and rightly or wrongly is controlled, ultimately, by them.

3 hours ago, asitis said:

The fact of the matter is we are stuck with debt and a power station which at conservative estimates cost 90 million more than it should have done. 

When the rest of us who didn't have a finger in the massive MEA pie are all fucking properly skint, at least we can probably get zapped and use the place for a rave.

59dfbba603cc0_Douglaspowerstation23324.jpg.cf1f426468a9a61cb0165a044a271b0a.jpg

3 hours ago, notwell said:

And the fault for that lies squarely at the door of the MEA.

And the lender. No?

I didn’t ask for the power station to be built and I didn’t make anything on the deal.  The gas pipes didn’t go over my land either. So it definitely shouldn’t be costing me anything. I was quite happy with Ramsey power station tbh. Even if it was a bit noisy.

16 minutes ago, pongo said:

And the lender. No?

I didn’t ask for the power station to be built and I didn’t make anything on the deal.  The gas pipes didn’t go over my land either. So it definitely shouldn’t be costing me anything. I was quite happy with Ramsey power station tbh. Even if it was a bit noisy.

Of course the lender was at fault and they could (maybe should) have slugged it out in court. If it didn't ask for the minutes to prove the board had been given the power to take out the loan then they were negligent. 

28 minutes ago, pongo said:

And the lender. No?

The lender didn't decide to build a power station .  As much as I dislike the lender there can be no question that the mess lies at the doorstep of government  (mea ).

Archived