Fund and share dealing accounts for Isle of Man residents

Paul1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, notwell said:

A local broker could be used 

Which local brokers offer online fund and share dealing accounts? I know that the people who owned the Manx pizza place off Clerkenwell used to. But I think they stopped.

Not sure about online offering but the long and short of it is if numerous companies in the UK now deem the Isle of Man to be a place they cant open accounts for then local brokers it is.

Or do the sensible thing and swerve it altogether and buy property:P

48 minutes ago, notwell said:

Not sure about online offering but the long and short of it is if numerous companies in the UK now deem the Isle of Man to be a place they cant open accounts for then local brokers it is.

But old fashioned brokers do not typically offer the same sort of service at all. And the costs certainly used to be ridiculous.

Fairly certain that HSBC service is available offshore as part of Premier Banking. It certainly was.

^ no, it seems that they have closed it to new business from IOM too

How mad is that? On offshore finance centre where offshore finance is blocked :) 

OK - I think that this HSBC service is available to Isle of Man customers. The T&C seems to indicate that.

1 hour ago, notwell said:

Or do the sensible thing and swerve it altogether and buy property:P

A surefire way to get rinsed!

20 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Bitcoin is where it's at.

Crypto currencies fit the definition of being pyramid schemes. In that those in first make the most money. That’s why everyone wants to start one.

You’d be brave to be buying in at this point. Which is not to say that they might not go much higher. The technology and maths is amazing. But you have to wonder about a thing which is mostly actually used to do business between people who essentially don’t trust each other and who must therefore rely on verification.

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

............is there somewhere one can buy small amounts of gold on the island? For investment.........

I have used bullionbypost, very reliable and prices as good as anywhere.  Buy all sorts of coins or bars, gold, silver or platinum.  https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk 

3 hours ago, woolley said:

Actually, everything looks expensive at the moment, property, equities, funds etc. If you are in sterling maybe wait a while as the currency is undervalued.

There's decent deals to be had on property here.

I agree the markets are toppy but it's largely a mugs game for PI''s anyway.

1 hour ago, Gorsh said:

I have used bullionbypost, very reliable and prices as good as anywhere.  Buy all sorts of coins or bars, gold, silver or platinum.  https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk

Bullionbypost is great . However they have another business called 

https://www.gold.co.uk where the prices are slightly lower. 

The websites are similar and they are both part of the same company 

Jewellery Quarter Bullion Limited (JQB).

Is the Isle of man based gold bullion company still trading ???

5 hours ago, pongo said:

But old fashioned brokers do not typically offer the same sort of service at all. And the costs certainly used to be ridiculous.

Fairly certain that HSBC service is available offshore as part of Premier Banking. It certainly was.

^ no, it seems that they have closed it to new business from IOM too

How mad is that? On offshore finance centre where offshore finance is blocked :) 

OK - I think that this HSBC service is available to Isle of Man customers. The T&C seems to indicate that.

What happens when you sell? AFAIK IOM doesn't tax capital gains . 

Archived