Whatever happened to the likely lad...?

quilp

Nice one Quilp. I loved The Likely Lads and they really played off each other so well. The opening credits and theme tune were beautifully nostalgic too.

It's a shame that Rodney Bewes career plummeted afterwards but Bolam went on to enjoy continued success for several decades. The gentle humour of The Likely Lads was rooted in the dreams and disappointments of real life and to me it still holds up today. RIP Bob.

Another of the great observational comedies created by Clement and la Frenais.

Although Rodders was expelled from RADA; the principal declaring his talents lay somewhere other than acting- he was the perfect foil for Bolam's character, Terry. It wouldn't have worked without the chemistry between the two. They fell out though, rumour being that Bolam despised Bewes, and when the permanently bemused Bewes was collared by Eamon Andrews for 'This Is Your Life', Bolam never featured. Bewes letting something slip to the press without Bolam's permission.

Plenty of episodes on youtube...

I opened the toilet door for him on an Olympic Airways flight to Athens in 1968. I said "Hello!" and he said "Oh Hello!" and no I was not cleaning the  "heads" at the time. (I was still at school)....And he and James Bolam fell out because Bolam guards his privacy and Rodney let slip something very innocuous during an interview and Bolam heard it on the radio and never spoke to him again. It was the principle of the thing.

Archived