Car advice

thebees

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They sell mobility scooters in Lloyd's chemist pimp it with a few stickers and will look much better than any of the piles of crap you are currently looking at, you don't need licence insurance or road tax so you can drink gin all day with the savings and still pop down the shops whenever. You should have a few grand left to install a stannah stairlift in your house so you don't have to ever break a sweat again or you could just walk.

Remember, Skoda and Seat are nowadays just VW by another name and have been for almost 2 decades now.

Seat tend to be a bit boy-racer-y but I have a Skoda and love it. It's got 130k but puts up with my abuse without blinking.

Anything VAG tends to be pretty solidly built, aside from some of the 1.2 engines are known to be a bit problematic. 

Golfs tend to be pricey for what they are based on their reputation but at the same time, they're also very nice cars, hence their reputation.

42 minutes ago, j2bad said:

They sell mobility scooters in Lloyd's chemist pimp it with a few stickers and will look much better than any of the piles of crap you are currently looking at, you don't need licence insurance or road tax so you can drink gin all day with the savings and still pop down the shops whenever. You should have a few grand left to install a stannah stairlift in your house so you don't have to ever break a sweat again or you could just walk.

They aren’t a vehicle, legally, but they’re a carriage, you could be charged with, and convicted of, drunk in charge of a carriage, and be disqualified.

What you looking for, bees?

something 10 years old, sleek and eye catching  in a pretty colour which will go fast, Be expensive to run and insure and disastrous for spares etc

or

something more recent, reliable, boring, roomy and cheap to run, insure, etc.

Are you having a mid life crisis?

Will it be used to shop, carry kids and shopping?

on your budget you’d do well to look at Dacia. You could get a new Small hatchback for your budget, or a 3 year old SUV.

32 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Remember, Skoda and Seat are nowadays just VW by another name and have been for almost 2 decades now.

Seat tend to be a bit boy-racer-y but I have a Skoda and love it. It's got 130k but puts up with my abuse without blinking.

Anything VAG tends to be pretty solidly built, aside from some of the 1.2 engines are known to be a bit problematic. 

Golfs tend to be pricey for what they are based on their reputation but at the same time, they're also very nice cars, hence their reputation.

Fair comment , I have run a Skoda Octavia estate ( bought it at about a year old) for the past 17 years ) regularly serviced) cheap motoring and  apart from fitting  new  'boots' and a new clutch it's still going well.:)

2 hours ago, Mission said:

Buy the Alfa, buy the Alfa. :)

They're much better cars these days, and it's the prettiest of the bunch that you have mentioned.

Alfa produces two of Britain’s worse depreciating cars. There might be better options. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/the-cars-that-will-cost-you-most-in-depreciation-a7992941.html

I've been running Honda civic's for more than twenty years,serviced annually and looked after they have never let me down,i have always bought from across low mileage no more than 12 months old cars and all have been auto's,they are pretty much bulletproof if taken care of.

2 hours ago, j2bad said:

How old you think I am? Actually maybe best not to answer that question, I have an idea it might not be a good guess.

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Do you need more than 2 seats Ms Bees? If not you should try a sports car like an MX5, Z4 or SLK. If you do, I'd go for the VW.

I generally need 3 seats, sometimes 4 or 5 but mostly I only need 1 :) Your car is one of our sights in the morning, you have your own song it goes "Stu Peeeetaaaaars" (in a doorbell tune) funny how you see the same people over and over, we have a couple of songs for people/cars, oh the fun we have (actually it's only me that has fun, the kids hate my singing), there is Rupert the Manx (if you see him you will know who I am talking about, often in Castletown, sometimes on Cooil Road) and Tesla car (Tesla car, tesla car ahaaahahaahaaahaaaa) which we sing whenever we see a Tesla car, like I say, the fun we have.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

on your budget you’d do well to look at Dacia. 

I shall kill myself NOW. I do not want a mum/nanna bus, I had a Zafira which poisoned me against spending money on cars for life, I rue the day I went on and on and on at MrBees "Mew mew mew, buy the expensive car, it's exactly what we need, mew mew mew" exactly what we need until it blows a gasket and then...I think I should leave it there before having another irrational meltdown over the complete unfairity of life (which ofc we know about but does it always have to rub your nose in it?)

I'm just looking for a good looking car that is cheap to run and reliable. I am having a mid life crisis but there is not a lot I can do about it :)

I love my Volvo xc70 T5 estate.................cost..under £2000...............now got 70,000 on the clock..........a real 'Q' car...............the Ford Maverick 3litre is a real workhorse too......cost..........£900.......60,000 miles.................cheap, luxurious, safe motoring.....IMO

Archived