This Week

dilligaf

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Some great nostalgia here and an excellent post from brer Dilligaf. I was going to throw a few more suggestions into the mix but nothing....absolutely nothing....beats Robinson Crusoe. I bought the DVD when it came out years ago and wondered if it would live up to the childhood memories of a series that made a big impact on this young child. It more than met expectations and contains some wonderful images, particularly in the scenes with Man Friday. Arguably the greatest children's television ever made. 

:o Are we twins, separated at birth ? I could have written that post. Totally agree with every word. :)

Does anyone else remember “Torchy the Battery Boy”? I’m pretty sure it was the very first effort from Gerry Anderson. Pretty weird stuff as I recall...but it was very long time ago!!

10 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Does anyone else remember “Torchy the Battery Boy”? I’m pretty sure it was the very first effort from Gerry Anderson. Pretty weird stuff as I recall...but it was very long time ago!!

Vaguely. The first one from that stable I was aware of was Four Feather Falls. Supercar of course and Fireball XL-5.

Actually, you’re right - Anderson’s debut was Four Feather Falls. But I think Torchy preceded Supercar and Fireball XL5. In terms of Anderson’s themes my favourite by far was Stingray.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

For some reason I don't remember the programme Torchy - only the name. I thought maybe it was pre  Four Feather Falls.

Now I’m confused! I thought Torchy was Anderson’s first effort, but when you mentioned FFF I changed my mind and went with that!

Ok - I’m wrong on both counts! Anderson’s first show was “The Adventures of Twizzle” (no, nor me). Then Torchy, then FFF. So I was right that Torchy came before FFF, but wrong that it was his first show.

On 1/16/2018 at 11:45 PM, woolley said:

Here's an encouraging thought. If instead of coming forward in time from some of the stuff we're recalling here we'd gone backwards, it would now be 1902.

Kids tv in 1902 featured ”Sooty and Swept” a cheery tale of 7 year old cleaners sent up chimneys by jovial Mr. Rees-Mogg and “Dr. Who’s next to die of measles” in which a time traveller observes childhood mortality. Happy days.

Archived