This Week

dilligaf

I've a very wide taste in music and today just flicked the radio in the car onto "Classic FM" and caught the last 30 seconds of this piece.

Jean Sibelius's Karelia -intermezzo suite. The short piece was the intro to the TV news documentary "This Week" many years ago, only about 5 mins long as in this video, but the whole suite is worth a listen

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Nice. We used to have some great theme tunes to TV programmes. Some snippets from classical, but some classics like many written by Barry Gray.

Mix - Barry Gray: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl9iUFY3NhE&list=RDEM7D4PFEm0PxsGgLdHc3eAPg

Don't wish to be rude albert, but that was shite.

Proper tunes for programs were things like Robinson Crusoe, Onedin Line, Follyfoot and such. (IMHO) 

Robinson Crusoe was a magical TV series in the mid 60s. Very emotional at times too for a young viewer of 10 or 11 years old. ( I did not even know it was dubbed until a few years ago when I bought the whole lot on DVD.

I feel very sorry for todays youth.. Always enjoy the music too.

Good call on that tune dilligaf. There was a documentary on radio 4 recently about Defoe and it said that for several generations of Britains thought of that series when they thought of RC because it was repeated every summer holidays for fifteen years. 

Anyway that tune was incorporated into this song ...

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Good call on that tune dilligaf. There was a documentary on radio 4 recently about Defoe and it said that for several generations of Britains thought of that series when they thought of RC because it was repeated every summer holidays for fifteen years. 

Anyway that tune was incorporated into this song ...

Loved that song. (How do you find such songs, as they are obviously not mainstream ?) I always found That series very emotive and even now hearing that tune brings a lump to my throat.

Yes, I know I am a bit old school, but looking at the complete shit that our kids watch today upsets me, as they are missing so much.

God help us in years to come when today's kids are in charge.

11 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think I probably heard John Peel play it. The band is Cinerama which were David Gedge’s band after the Wedding Present and eventually mutated into the reformed Wedding Present. 

Christ, I used to listen to John Peel for hours on end years ago. Great that he still broadcasts. :)

They say that the most effective sense for returning you to a time, place or event, is the sense of smell. But my word that Robinson Crusoe theme comes a close second. Other cracking 60s/70s themes were “Department S” , “Danger Man”, and “The Prisoner”. Another 70s kids one that sticks with me is “The Flaxton Boys” which was music by Prokofiev and Woolley is bang on with “Galloping Home”. On a grittier note I always loved the theme from “The Sweeney”. But none whizz you back in time quite like Robinson Crusoe!

A possible future classic is the theme from the new version of ”Poldark”. I think it’s superb.

Some great nostalgia here and an excellent post from brer Dilligaf. I was going to throw a few more suggestions into the mix but nothing....absolutely nothing....beats Robinson Crusoe. I bought the DVD when it came out years ago and wondered if it would live up to the childhood memories of a series that made a big impact on this young child. It more than met expectations and contains some wonderful images, particularly in the scenes with Man Friday. Arguably the greatest children's television ever made. 

Archived