Drink Driving

Mr Shoe

I was accidentally listening to Manx Radio at lunchtime while driving in the car (12:25pm)

The presenter was telling the listeners that there are two sides to every story. And that having two or three pints at the pub after a hard days work and then carefully driving home wasn't necessarily a bad thing. That there have been thousands of incident-free journeys under the influence that you don't hear about. And that the low alcohol limits are to make things easier for the police.

I was so shocked I spilled my whisky on the dashboard. Lucky I had cruise control on or I might have dropped my spliff.

Does Manx Radio spout this kind of bullshit every day?

http://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/od/10141/

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Mr Shoe said:

I was accidentally listening to Manx Radio at lunchtime while driving in the car (12:25pm)

The presenter was telling the listeners that there are two sides to every story. And that having two or three pints at the pub after a hard days work and then carefully driving home wasn't necessarily a bad thing. That there have been thousands of incident-free journeys under the influence that you don't hear about. And that the low alcohol limits are to make things easier for the police.

I was so shocked I spilled my whisky on the dashboard. Lucky I had cruise control on or I might have dropped my spliff.

Does Manx Radio spout this kind of bullshit every day?

http://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/od/10141/

It must be far easier though to drink while driving as opposed to drinking whilst riding you pushbike. You can't have it both ways.;)

Imagine the scenario: person A drinks four JD and cokes, gets in the car and drives and is driving rather splendidly until person B smashes into themand subsequently person A smashes intoperson C, person B is a 90 year old man who has cataracts and the reflexes of a tortoise in syrup, person C is a monged out housewife who has had a Prozac or two. They all get breathalised and it transpires that person A, who was driving well is the pariah on account that they drank four JD and cokes but their driving wasn't impaired, person's B and C are not prosecuted but person A has a spell at the Jurby Hilton awaiting

It seems that justice is served 

21 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Imagine the scenario: person A drinks four JD and cokes, gets in the car and drives and is driving rather splendidly until person B smashes into themand subsequently person A smashes intoperson C, person B is a 90 year old man who has cataracts and the reflexes of a tortoise in syrup, person C is a monged out housewife who has had a Prozac or two. They all get breathalised and it transpires that person A, who was driving well is the pariah on account that they drank four JD and cokes but their driving wasn't impaired, person's B and C are not prosecuted but person A has a spell at the Jurby Hilton awaiting

It seems that justice is served 

But in that scenario

B would be prosecuted for due care, and ordered not to drive until he has passed a medical that he’s fit to drive and his test. He’ll never drive again.

C hasn’t may, or may not, have been driving under the influence of drugs. Depends if it’s one, two and how long ago she had the prozac. She’s the only one who may be innocent. It’s probable it won’t even be detected.

A. May not have broken the law. He may possibly have driven with excess alcohol. But the level, if they were singles, wouldn’t be such as to even trigger the Custody threshold, indeed if he’d drunk 4 singles over 2 or 3 hours, it’s probable he won’t be over the limit. Even if he drank them in 10 mins he’d hardly be likely to hit 1.5 times the limit. So a ban for 12 months to 2 years. Retake his test. There are no aggravating factors.

Well. Stu did not say two or three pints if my memory serves. He said one or two, which should be fine under the law. This is one of those pet PC subjects where all reason has flown out of the window. It's black and white, you DON'T touch a drop, and if you dare suggest otherwise you are as bad as a child molester. The PC police, including the plod police, just shut you down and won't engage in a discussion like adults. This was the point Stu was making and he was spot on.

How is it OK to drive when you are so decrepit that you can hardly see and are so physically and mentally fragile that you can do no more than about 15mph and apply the brakes every time a vehicle approaches from the opposite direction?

How is it OK to use telephony while driving when it has been proven that doing so is just as bad if not worse than drink driving?

http://www.businessinsider.com/talking-on-a-hands-free-cellphone-is-as-bad-as-driving-drunk-2013-8

What if the driver suffered with Auto-brewery syndrome, also known as gut fermentation syndrome, is a rare medical condition in which intoxicating quantities of ethanol are produced through endogenous fermentation within the digestive system.  should he be made to stop driving .

8 minutes ago, Holte End said:

What if the diver suffered with Auto-brewery syndrome, also known as gut fermentation syndrome, is a rare medical condition in which intoxicating quantities of ethanol are produced through endogenous fermentation within the digestive system.  should he be made to stop driving .

It's not unusual for people to be not allowed a driving licence due to medical conditions.

You, and your medical practitioner, must tell DVLA ( in GB) and Driver  Licensing here if you have a notifiable medical condition. That is defined as any medical condition that would affect your ability to drive safely. 

Its then dealt with on a case by case basis, and for some conditions there are rules and guidelines and restricted licences 

7 hours ago, Holte End said:

What if the diver suffered with Auto-brewery syndrome, also known as gut fermentation syndrome, is a rare medical condition in which intoxicating quantities of ethanol are produced through endogenous fermentation within the digestive system.  should he be made to stop driving .

Yes.

It's a no-brainer.

Archived