Electricity Price Rise

Non-Believer

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/03/2018 at 10:03 PM, GD4ELI said:

"and run DC and NOT AC and connect it to the UK national grid"

So, nip out and buy a nice big rectifier and a few capacitors so send DC over a cable? Then have a whirly thing on the island to generate the AC again?

DC transmission is not uncommon.  Much lower losses due to capacitive coupling.  The conversions are dine electronically use very expensive mofo IGBTs with fibre-optic gate inputs.

I bet they're really loud when they fail.

16 hours ago, Mr Bear said:

DC transmission is not uncommon.  Much lower losses due to capacitive coupling.  The conversions are dine electronically use very expensive mofo IGBTs with fibre-optic gate inputs.

you mean like the exploding dolls va****s ?

( don't forget that you posted that video )

16 hours ago, Mr Bear said:

I recall undertaking a site audit where the job was to ---- well that's unimportant but in the same building was the plant to terminate a 33 kv  amp incoming DC feed and convert it to AC. This was about 30 years ago and the equipment used huge thyratrons to do the dirty but thankfully in a different apparatus room. I am scared witless by high voltage high power anything. The sight of big insulators even just sitting connected to nothing gives me a fit of the vapours.

It's a real phobia!

25 minutes ago, Rog said:

I recall undertaking a site audit where the job was to ---- well that's unimportant but n the same building was the plant to terminate a 33 kv  amp incoming DC feed and convert it to AC. This was about 30 years ago and the equipment used huge thyratrons to do the dirty but thankfully in a different apparatus room. I am scared witless by high voltage high power anything. The sight of big insulators even just sitting connected to nothing gives me a fit of the vapours.

It's a real phobia!

Sounds so much like "Airplane" :lol:

Archived