Electricity Price Rise

Non-Believer

20 minutes ago, Terminal said:

The UK is at risk of running out of gas in certain areas over the next few days according to the scary media.

Hopefully our gas pipeline to Pully power station won’t get switched off. 

Wouldn't matter it never runs anyway,  a few people who are stupid enough to heat by gas may get a bit chilly though!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

"and run DC and NOT AC and connect it to the UK national grid"

So, nip out and buy a nice big rectifier and a few capacitors so send DC over a cable? Then have a whirly thing on the island to generate the AC again?

Transmission of a lot of power over a cable is usually done using DC once any distance is involved.  Very high voltages are employed to minimise the effect of voltage drop and using DC substantially reduced losses due to the capacitor effect of the cable so there is no reactive component and also reduces stress on insulation due to an alternating current changing polarity 50 (or 60) times a second.

Here's a starter on this subject  

https://www.energy.siemens.com/hq/en/power-transmission/hvdc/applications-benefits/configurations/long-distance-power-transmission.htm?stop_mobi=true

There's no need for a whirly thing either.  High power high voltage static inverter based plant does the job just fine and are in use all over the world.  

Worth checking out, power distribution using cable as opposed to overhead is a fascinating subject with all sorts of interesting twists to it. 

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, Non-Believer said:

MUA announces domestic hike of 1.88% from April 1st (iomtoday). Chair Allinson announces a pricing overhaul/review is ongoing.

Also says this is the first hike for two years. Didn't he announce a big rise this time last year..?

Just got my leccy statement from E.on...I have used 1,095 kwh at a cost of £264 for the past twelve months which is 3% up on the previous year.

Now I get £140 annual discount from E.on under the "Warm home scheme." Thus I shall have had to pay £124 of my own money for electricity for the whole year.

However, I also get the £200 per year Winter Fuel Payment plus so far a Cold Weather Payment thanks to the "Beast from the East" of £25 (Notified officially on DWP website)....Also as the "Beast" is predicted in my post code to go on a bit yet and as the Cold Weather Payment is based on predicted temperature as well as actual it looks like another £25 is on the way.  

So that is what? A buckshee donation in my bin of £390 towards a £264 usage...Crisis! What crisis?

Click the link

2 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Just got my leccy statement from E.on...I have used 1,095 kwh at a cost of £264 for the past twelve months which is 3% up on the previous year.

Now I get £140 annual discount from E.on under the "Warm home scheme." Thus I shall have had to pay £124 of my own money for electricity for the whole year.

However, I also get the £200 per year Winter Fuel Payment plus so far a Cold Weather Payment thanks to the "Beast from the East" of £25 (Notified officially on DWP website)....Also as the "Beast" is predicted in my post code to go on a bit yet and as the Cold Weather Payment is based on predicted temperature as well as actual it looks like another £25 is on the way.  

So that is what? A buckshee donation in my bin of £390 towards a £264 usage...Crisis! What crisis?

Click the link

Nobody likes a gloater 

33 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Click the link

Delighted to hear  that you are AOK , I've just had to pay a small fortune in heating costs  but it's a small price to pay to be able to live on this island and not  have you as a neighbour:lol:......... "there is always an upside":lol:.

It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside to know that I'm handing so much back to MUA/Govt to bail out previous indiscretions.

Even more so, that by various tortuous means, some of it's probably being freely given to anonymous, hard pressed landowners.

1 hour ago, paswt said:

Delighted to hear  that you are AOK , I've just had to pay a small fortune in heating costs  but it's a small price to pay to be able to live on this island and not  have you as a neighbour:lol:......... "there is always an upside":lol:.

Like Macmillan "I must ask for a translation".

once any distance is involved

Siemens mention 300 - 3000 km. The UK grid isn't that far.

AC is much easier to generate and change the voltage so any benefits DC may have over really long distances are not going to be apparent on short runs?

9 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Siemens mention 300 - 3000 km. The UK grid isn't that far.

AC is much easier to generate and change the voltage so any benefits DC may have over really long distances are not going to be apparent on short runs?

The 300 / 3000 km refers to overhead transmission lines, not cable where the conductors are physically close together especially for undersea hauls where cable physical size is a very important factor.

Transmission of AC power invariably requires at least three phases in order to get the most power within a given time which adds to the problems again because of the reactive factors the cable introduces plus the insulation problems associated with the very high voltages involved. 

The people I feel sorry for are the ones renting from landlords who have installed gas.  It is probably the only option for landlords who have flats but the people who pay the bills are the ones to suffer.   Having said that the way leccy is going it will soon be catching up.

Archived