Pathological gambling addict nicks £500K

Linz

This is amazing for two reasons. 

A. He got away with it for years 

B. We say the online gambling industry is 100% kosher and yet on our own doorstep we see otherwise 

News report:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/theft-strikes-at-the-very-heart-of-islands-finance-sector/

It would seem the industry spreads a lot of misery around. At least he only got a couple of years. Not bad for half a million quid. 

7 minutes ago, Linz said:

This is amazing for two reasons. 

A. He got away with it for years 

B. We say the online gambling industry is 100% kosher and yet on our own doorstep we see otherwise 

News report:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/theft-strikes-at-the-very-heart-of-islands-finance-sector/

It would seem the industry spreads a lot of misery around. At least he only got a couple of years. Not bad for half a million quid. 

Mike Profitt got FA....

Steve Christian got lauded.

As did Albert Gubay (until recently).

And Graham Ferguson-Lacey.

Nothing much done about Skelly, Cretney and Corlett either.

I'd say he's been hard done to.

(Apologies for sarcasm)

I would suggest that the "Gambling Addict" line is lawyer speak to infer the barefaced thief had issues which other than greed and being a light fingered fool "forced" him to commit the crimes - and reduce his sentence.

He couldn't have been too far in to the Bookies as he bought a £500k house - yes it was  mortgaged but he must have proved he had the "income"

i wouldn't put 100% blame on the online gaming industry - for all the in depth reporting he could have been in William Hill chucking real notes at tram pullers....

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Mike Profitt got FA....

Steve Christian got lauded.

As did Albert Gubay (until recently).

And Graham Ferguson-Lacey.

Nothing much done about Skelly, Cretney and Corlett either.

I'd say he's been hard done to.

(Apologies for sarcasm)

Scratched surface

17 minutes ago, vee_dub said:

It's always mental health issues when they get caught.

well if you break the law you must be mental eh?   it's just the latest  great excuse for a lesser sentence,  if you're up for littering there will be a social report these days.

10 hours ago, NoTail said:

I feel sorry for him, it's a terrible addiction.  I also suspect the internal financial controls at the company were inadequate,  it took far too long to discover the theft.

inadequate? it would appear there are none...

3 hours ago, vee_dub said:

It's always mental health issues when they get caught.

I think in this sort of case if you stole £500K but blew it all gambling (ie, you have nothing tangible to show for your crime) you probably do have mental health issues. If I’d have stolen £500K I’d at least have made sure I ended up with a Ferrari or a couple of houses if I was to risk going down for a few years. 

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think in this sort of case of you stole £500K but blew it all gambling (ie, you have nothing tangible to show for your crime) you probably do have mental health issues. If I’d have stolen £500K I’d at least have made sure I ended up with a Ferrari or a couple of houses if I was to risk going down for a few years. 

or a horse box......

1 hour ago, mbx said:

£500k, it was a lot more than that ;)

It does make me wonder if he was so good at hiding what was going on might he also be that good at hiding what the money was actually used to buy? Hard to believe every penny was apparently pissed away gambling online. 

Archived