Reflections on TT vs MGP/FoM

wrighty

I've been here a few years now, and increasingly I'm hearing views that MGP/FoM is pointless and annoying.  When I think back to the 13 or so of each I've experienced this is what I recall:

TT - The island is buzzing, the prom is busy, lots goes on, kids love the fairground, bands on in the beer tent, long sunny evenings, red arrows, senior race day bbqs...

MGP/FoM - Miserable drizzle, roads closed for days at a time while they wait 'just another hour' for the weather to lift, geriatric bikers riding oil-spitting geriatric bikes, empty prom and pubs, getting dark at 8pm

Both events have their fair share of death and serious injuries, and I understand that the participants, organisers, and government accept this.  But for me, TT has some benefits, MGP/FoM has none.  If it were up to me I'd scrap it, or at least reduce it to a long weekend rather than a whole fortnight of nuisance.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fully agree with Wrighty. Why not incorporate it alongside the TT. Reduce the number of classes in the TT and let the MGP oldies join in. Two weeks of something for everyone

Have to agree. Have mentioned in the other thread, it's just now an excuse for a load of biking enthusiasts to meet up for a pint. There's never much racing goes on anyway as the summer has gone.

The whole thing needs reinventing to continue to exist. Maybe make it a Festival of Motorsport rather than just motorcycling and have at at the start of the month. Widen the target market, make it about cars as well as bikes and bring it forward for the weather. The economy needs the tourism £££ for it not to exist at all.

If it were up to me I'd probably scrap both of them. I can't see how the appalling death toll that we all know about, and the horrific injuries that we don't know so much about are acceptable in a modern, civilised society, no matter what financial or social benefits either of them bring to the island. 

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

If it were up to me I'd probably scrap both of them. I can't see how the appalling death toll that we all know about, and the horrific injuries that we don't know so much about are acceptable in a modern, civilised society, no matter what financial or social benefits either of them bring to the island. 

If it were up to me, I'd gladly scrap you too but hey ho, can't have everything

It needs to go back to being the MGP.

This 'Festival of motorcycling' bollox makes it sound like some kind of Fred Dibnah steam powered motorcycle get together.

Personally, I'd like to see it combined with far more organised entertainment...bands and beer tents (yes why not smaller versions of all 3 breweries in Aug back open at the Villa). Varied entertainment for oldies and youngies - with a few big names on.

A lot more locals would get out and liven up things then. Biggest beer seller wins the Villa contract for TT!!!

IMO...the whole things needs far greater marketing brains than we have at the DoE and whoever has the marketing contract currently...and far more than a small ad in Reader's Digest.

The 'access road' at 2.30 today was an ordeal. Another over-heated car, its young female driver embarrassed and in tears on her phone, was blocking the lane to the hospital. I suppose other drivers were being as considerate as possible but the back-log continued up to and past the B&Q roundabout. After I (relieved!) reached the QB, there's a fire appliance making its way down toward the jam.

What would happen in the event of a major incident? 

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It needs to go back to being the MGP.

This 'Festival of motorcycling' bollox makes it sound like some kind of Fred Dibnah steam powered motorcycle get together.

Personally, I'd like to see it combined with far more organised entertainment...bands and beer tents (yes why not smaller versions of all 3 breweries in Aug back open at the Villa). Varied entertainment for oldies and youngies - with a few big names on.

A lot more locals would get out and liven up things then. Biggest beer seller wins the Villa contract for TT!!!

IMO...the whole things needs far greater marketing brains than we have at the DoE and whoever has the marketing contract currently...and far more than a small ad in Reader's Digest.

What about going back to where it all started, and have cars, instead of bikes, much safer, and it could still be called the IOM TT and  ( sponsered by AUDI ). ?

39 minutes ago, quilp said:

The 'access road' at 2.30 today was an ordeal. Another over-heated car, its young female driver embarrassed and in tears on her phone, was blocking the lane to the hospital. I suppose other drivers were being as considerate as possible but the back-log continued up to and past the B&Q roundabout. After I (relieved!) reached the QB, there's a fire appliance making its way down toward the jam.

What would happen in the event of a major incident? 

We said the same thing yesterday. An ambulance with blues and twos heading towards the hospital. If they insist on keeping this then the time has come for another access/departure road to make things run a little smoother, or just widen the existing road

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

We said the same thing yesterday. An ambulance with blues and twos heading towards the hospital. If they insist on keeping this then the time has come for another access/departure road to make things run a little smoother, or just widen the existing road

They should really have concidered that when the built the hospital inside the course !

Archived