Hurricane Season

TheTeapot

11 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

As the storms develop the forecasts get more accurate, although as ever its still tricky. Beginning to look like New Orleans is gonna flood

20200822-143512.jpg

You have to feel sorry for those living in New Orleans. They suffer an extraordinary amount of storms

7 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

No they don't.

New Orleans is a city more vulnerable than most when it comes to storm surges. There are two main reasons for this. The first reason is New Orleans’ low elevation in relation to sea level, the second reason is the lack of nature’s best defense against a storm surge; wetlands and barrier islands.

http://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2010/teams/neworleans1/hurricane history.htm

maybe they haven't then

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

New Orleans is a city more vulnerable than most when it comes to storm surges. There are two main reasons for this. The first reason is New Orleans’ low elevation in relation to sea level, the second reason is the lack of nature’s best defense against a storm surge; wetlands and barrier islands.

http://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2010/teams/neworleans1/hurricane history.htm

maybe they haven't then

I know all this Neil, you said they suffer an extraordinary amount of storms. Which they don't. They certainly get quite a few, and when they get them the impact tends to be pretty big, but thats what you get for building a city on a swamp. I love New Orleans and hope to go back there one day. But not at this time of year.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I know all this Neil, you said they suffer an extraordinary amount of storms. Which they don't. They certainly get quite a few, and when they get them the impact tends to be pretty big, but thats what you get for building a city on a swamp. I love New Orleans and hope to go back there one day. But not at this time of year.

Compared to the Isle of Man they do...

Ah, but we get loads of storms, just not tropical cyclones. And of course, tropical cyclones are what this thread is about. 

Marco is currently a Cat 1 hurricane, swirling around a few hundred miles south of New Orleans, taking up heat and moisture from the sea while battling some higher level winds. Going to make landfall tomorrow, no one knows how strong yet, and the storm surge around the Louisiana coast could be pretty impressive. Better than Douglas prom anyway...

• Like 1