Hurricane Season

TheTeapot

• 1 year later...

Hurricane Hilary is going to dump a lot of rain on southern California this weekend. It might not be a hurricane by the time it gets there, but it is properly unusual. Hasn't been a hurricane hit California for 150 years or so. Potential for up to 8 inches of rain in Death Valley. SoCal is not really set up for this kind of rain, so the LA river might actually be one.

Meanwhile the Atlantic is finally kicking in after a slow start. El Nino is in effect which normally means higher level winds make it difficult for big storms to develop, but the sea is hot hot hot so there is a lot of fuel to be had. Not a good time to be on holiday in the Caribbean, Florida or Texas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Hurricane Hilary is going to dump a lot of rain on southern California this weekend. It might not be a hurricane by the time it gets there, but it is properly unusual. Hasn't been a hurricane hit California for 150 years or so. Potential for up to 8 inches of rain in Death Valley. SoCal is not really set up for this kind of rain, so the LA river might actually be one.

Meanwhile the Atlantic is finally kicking in after a slow start. El Nino is in effect which normally means higher level winds make it difficult for big storms to develop, but the sea is hot hot hot so there is a lot of fuel to be had. Not a good time to be on holiday in the Caribbean, Florida or Texas.

Yep, I was going to say it's an El Nino year.  Gonna be a big one for Hurricanes I reckon and yes the water is really warm at the moment, Florida had a couple of places hit record sea temps of 38C last month.

I've actually been following with a bit of interest the California drought and record low levels of the dams like Hoover and Mead.  Some of the boat launches there now are 100s of meters from the actually water.   I'll be curious to see how much they top up from the record (again) winter of snow they had in the Rockies.  Maybe Hilary will have an effect on it too.  Certainly they've had 5 or so years of drought and are now receiving a shit load of precipitation. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Florida is in for it this week. 

cone graphic

The storm people all started getting twitchy last week because there were some clouds in the pacific. 

Once in a blue moon!

Years ago I did a house swop with a couple in Naples Florida when hurricane Andrew was forecast. It was forecast to be the big one people had been dreading for years. We ended up being evacuated up north for a few days but we still got hit pretty bad. When we returned to the house the old mango tree was gone and most of the garage. I seem to remember we left our clothes behind and filled our suitcase with mangos. 😂. Some streets were left entirely untouched and others alongside were flattened. It was quite the experience but not one I’d like to repeat anytime soon. Miami airport got wiped out and we had to come home from Georgia, which was a whole different experience all on its own. From your map it looks as though Naples is about to get hit once more. Poor buggers. 

• Like 1

The watchers got twitchy the other day over some clouds near Cabo Verde, and TD13 has now formed. The National Hurricane Centre has issued its first advisory for this system, and has it strengthening to major hurricane Lee. This is, again, unusual. Weird weather stuff, maybe there's something in all that climate change talk after all.