How to you make cider from fresh apples ?

LightBulb

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Juice them, add a bit of sugar and some yeast, stick it in a sterilized (the most important bit) demijohn with an airlock and leave it alone until the bubbles have pretty much stopped. Drink.

Juice them, add a bit of sugar and some yeast, stick it in a sterilized (the most important bit) demijohn with an airlock and leave it alone until the bubbles have pretty much stopped, Done that bit so far, how do you make it fizzy ?

13 hours ago, LightBulb said:

Juice them, add a bit of sugar and some yeast, stick it in a sterilized (the most important bit) demijohn with an airlock and leave it alone until the bubbles have pretty much stopped, Done that bit so far, how do you make it fizzy ?

Alka Seltzer. 

• 4 weeks later...

Blend the apples, add pulp and juice to a large tub, do not fill over half, first fermentation will be quite hectic just with the natural occurring yeast, when it dies down, sieve and filter the juice out, into demijohns with air locks. It will brew out to a reasonable 3-4% without further sugar or yeast but if you require stronger add a little wine yeast and feed with sugar until you get where you want to be. When it starts to clear, siphon out to fresh demijohns untill the clarity suits.

Have a skeet on t'internet there will be loadsa scrumpy recipes .

On 9/16/2018 at 4:43 PM, TheTeapot said:

Juice them, add a bit of sugar and some yeast, stick it in a sterilized (the most important bit) demijohn with an airlock and leave it alone until the bubbles have pretty much stopped. Drink.

My father and you would have got on well. My brother took him once to a wine brewers' meeting and they asked him how long he left his wine to 'rack'.  Rack? I just wait till it's stopped bubbling then I drink it,  was his reply.  He only went once.  

On 9/16/2018 at 6:34 PM, LightBulb said:

You need to do a second fermentation for that. Once the first is over you bottle it, add a bit more sugar, seal it and very day you need to 'burp' the bottle to get rid of the excess carbon dioxide.  It's not a fine science, you can have a few dodgy moments some of which can include losing an eye.  So be careful.  My worst experience was making mead for Christmas.  I had it stored on it's side in a gallon jar with a rubber bung in the iid. I lived in a bedsit at the time and the mean was on a rack at the bottom of the bed.  One night approaching Christmas i was woken by an almighty POP sound to find the bung had been pushed out by the pesky carbon dioxide action still ongoing after the initial ferment. I cannot tell you what it's like to have your entire bedroom floor covered in a gallon of sticky mead - but it wasn't good.

Don’t forget to add the odd bit of straw, pigs trotter and farm machinery for the authentic scrumpy texture. Sieve through an unkempt beard to stop the large bits getting through the tooth gaps, sit back and enjoy a gulp out of a bed pan or welly.

Archived