Flooding at Richmon Hill

LightBulb

20 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

Because theres a river at the bottom and during severe heavy rain the river swells and there is nowhere for the water to go...just guessing here.

I don`t remember it flooding there before they did the major road improvements on that hill, and the river has always been there, has it not, so why is it flooding now ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

I don`t remember it flooding there before they did the major road improvements on that hill, and the river has always been there, has it not, so why is it flooding now ?

Thought you were just passing through?

I have been driving down Richmond Hill for a few decades now, more so this last twenty years. All weathers all times of years.

Of course any road is bad during wet weather, but tonight I experienced the DEATH TRAP that it is since it was resurfaced. The gentle floodings as you go up the hill are unexpected but the water at the bottom, northbound carriageway was really bad and seemed to appear out of nowhere, even in this weather.

How much did Richmond Hill roadworks cost? How long did it take?

It has a jolly good car park though.

I dread to think what Richmond Hill will be like after wet weather and then a freeze.

7 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I have been driving down Richmond Hill for a few decades now, more so this last twenty years. All weathers all times of years.

Of course any road is bad during wet weather, but tonight I experienced the DEATH TRAP that it is since it was resurfaced. The gentle floodings as you go up the hill are unexpected but the water at the bottom, northbound carriageway was really bad and seemed to appear out of nowhere, even in this weather.

I dread to think what Richmond Hill will be like after wet weather and then a freeze.

Stop your moaning, they've recently spent mucho "improving" it after the multi million pound reconstruction.

11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It's a disgrace. The only benefit I can see from the various 'improvement' closures recently has been that the new tar and chip surface dressing reduces aquaplaning, even though there are still sheets of water running across both carriageways. But don't worry about snow and ice - they'll just close the road completely 'for your comfort and safety'.

9 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Can't blame them for closing it in that case. Some drivers are better than others but safety closings have to be set at the level of poor or maybe too elderly drivers. 

If they hadn't modelled it on the Amazon then it wouldn't be a problem!

The person in charge of spirit level procurement at the DOI needs their arse kicking.

If you looked when it was being ‘built’ it had random piles of tarmac to build the up base to the ‘correct’ level. 

After it was ‘surfaced’ it appeared to have porous and impermeable tarmac top layers,  there were defined lines at the many joins in the surface where water either ran off, or soaked through.

The road camber was never a feature, with water running from side to side.

When they resurfaced to top of the hill, up to Speke Lane, they raised the completed surface leading to flooding at the top, filling the front gardens and drives of the cottages at the top and on the hill.  Water pours down the hill 2 inches deep, across half the carriageway.

The chipings have just been washed away, down the hill, with no attention paid to the mix of tarmac underneath.  

They botched the sight lines to one property, leading to remedial work needed. 

They failed to pay for the land used of one owner, leading to him to protest by parking his tractor on the works.

it was a joke then, it’s a joke now, it flooded long before they started work on it, it floods worse now - as does many improved roads.  Maybe they will just get round the flooding like they have with the roundabout at Ballasalla, by putting a pile of road poles round where it floods.

Just now, Non-Believer said:

The Richmond Hill improvements have saved us millions in road death investigations and costs.

It must be true, Annie Craine told me.

Only because that, even in a light shower, it’s safer to drive at 15 mph.

21 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Only because that, even in a light shower, it’s safer to drive at 15 mph.

They could build a water mill at the bottom of "Richmiond Hill ", and channel it, which would generate electricity in times of heavy rain, and add it to the sucessfull "energy from waste plant" and give us all more free electricity.

Archived