Flooding at Richmon Hill

LightBulb

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh they understand drainage alright. But working with/for the Isle of Man  Government you can be a bit slack-arsed about it. Ultimately, the buck stops with the Minister. But when everyone is so clubby clubby and pally pally, and especially using shed loads of other peoples money, no one is ever going to get hauled over the coals, an d hence they get away with it. Again and again and again.

Derby Road - just  been resurfaced - the gully drain at the junction with Broadway (up hill side) now gets bypassed and the water down the hill now flows all over the junction, because the road levels are shit at that point and the gully is high. That will be like Come Dancing On Ice when the cold weather sets in.

It can't possibly flood - Richmond Hill was closed for long periods twice this year to fix that, surely. First time to tar and chip it and the second time I think to jetwash the drain holes in the kerbs.

I sometimes think we don't do road camber or street drains in the Isle of Man. I've never known so many roads become rivers at the first sign of rain.

7 hours ago, gettafa said:

Derby Road - just  been resurfaced - the gully drain at the junction with Broadway (up hill side) now gets bypassed and the water down the hill now flows all over the junction, because the road levels are shit at that point and the gully is high. That will be like Come Dancing On Ice when the cold weather sets in.

there must be a river under there that swells up during heavy rain,  it's the only possible reason.

13 hours ago, yootalkin2me said:

Because theres a river at the bottom and during severe heavy rain the river swells and there is nowhere for the water to go...just guessing here.

The road run off cannot go into the river, and if it was swollen enough to reach the top of the banks - the world has ended.

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's time we spent a good few £million and two years digging it all up, putting in decent drainage. That'll sort it.

It's time they spent £12.99 on a spirit level from B & Q. Either that or a bit more on a lesson how to use one.

1 hour ago, JessTickle said:

The drains were blocked with leaves

Now there's a thing. Chap in the north recently complained to a DOI operative that the draining kerbs on a recently reconstructed length of road were blocking up with leaves causing flooding. Operative's response was that they didn't have any means or equipment to flush the drains through. What's wrong with a pressure washer of some sort?

56 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Now there's a thing. Chap in the north recently complained to a DOI operative that the draining kerbs on a recently reconstructed length of road were blocking up with leaves causing flooding. Operative's response was that they didn't have any means or equipment to flush the drains through. What's wrong with a pressure washer of some sort?

They had the equipment to pressure wash out the road gulley surface water drains and surface water sewer outside my gaff. The operatives were pleasant efficient and knew what they were doing , so the chaps at the sharp end IMO are AOK.

Archived