Paramount City up for sale

gettafa

Manx Radio

The only time I have ever been refused entry into a 'night club' was The Paramount. I think they were trying to put it up market a bit when the Island was enjoying extra VAT boom days.  I clearly didn't fit the profile the bouncers had been given. I think we must have sloped off to Champs or was it Imps? I never could tell the difference.

Nearby EJs had been closed about 10 years after the stabbing death, but The Venue was enjoying a new lease of life after being opened as a venue for a recent TT.  At the Palace Hotel, Toffs was the place to be, or had it been renamed Colours?

It was not that long ago that there would be a general weekend night migration from the town pubs to the clubs along the far end of Douglas Promenade. The main place of course being Paramount. But I for one won't miss it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who owns it now, H&B? Didn't Dave Rielly sell it (back) to them and they announced great plans for it?

The sale conditions will probably stipulate that it can't be used as a pub or club.

13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio

The only time I have ever been refused entry into a 'night club' was The Paramount. I think they were trying to put it up market a bit when the Island was enjoying extra VAT boom days.  I clearly didn't fit the profile the bouncers had been given. I think we must have sloped off to Champs or was it Imps? I never could tell the difference.

Nearby EJs had been closed about 10 years after the stabbing death, but The Venue was enjoying a new lease of life after being opened as a venue for a recent TT.  At the Palace Hotel, Toffs was the place to be, or had it been renamed Colours?

It was not that long ago that there would be a general weekend night migration from the town pubs to the clubs along the far end of Douglas Promenade. The main place of course being Paramount. But I for one won't miss it.

Some of the bouncers ( sorry , security staff ) were fucking animals.

I took a guy to Nobles A & E after he was "seen to " by the bouncers for acting the goat ( ie having fun with his mates )

I will never forget that, the guy was a big burly Irish building worker and he was reduced to tears by these cunts. Beaten to a pulp for having fun.

Heath was made aware of this, but nothing changed. A policeman I told was not interested in the least.

A great club, but spoiled by apes.

( that great guy John Moran ( rip), was not one of them by the way )

Think the Sefton own it, don't they?

Hope it's not 'registered' because of the bathroom tiled front! Along with the Stables block, it could be a pretty big site but are developers still interested in Prom apartment blocks now?

PS. why are sales of the prom apartments never seen in the paper ???

Yep, I think you said it in a different way dilli. The bouncers/.thugs wanted to let everyone know they were in charge. They use the stare-out tactic to let people know they were there, regardless of what or who they were. All the pejorative words you use dilli  are about spot on

Doesn't Douglas Councillor Pitts own it? He tried to get it going but I think the writing was on the wall by then.

21 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Manx Radio

It’s a pretty great opportunity to lose about £700k trying to make it a club again. It’s as damp as arseholes and I’d have thought needs £150K minimum throwing at it on top of the asking price to make it serviceable. Unless Summerland is developed at any time soon it’s in the wrong place. There isn’t even Colours to break up a trek along the prom now and a taxi from town must be £3-4. I can’t even see how a night club  at the Post Office in Regents Street can wash its face let alone this. 

26 minutes ago, Max Power said:

the town is a dead hole.

People just don't go to those sorts of places any longer. And let's be honest - with hindsight, those sort of places were a bit grim.

But the town definitely isn't dead. In many ways it's better than it's been for decades. Certainly during the day - nice places to meet and eat + busy with people doing business etc. And still some very nice pubs.

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Pitts was a tenant, the Sefton owned it in '13 at least.

Yes, I think you're right. They were going to refurb and make it the place to be, with a fanfare IIRC. Obviously offloading another part of the portfolio now.

Archived