Paramount City up for sale

gettafa

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’ve thought that often enough. But look at the traffic around the place. There’s a lot of people here they’re just either earning bugger all or paying bugger all in tax. 

Or having so much taken off them in taxes and general living expenses that they've got no disposable income anymore?

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Or having so much taken off them in taxes and general living expenses that they've got no disposable income anymore?

I’m never sure on that point. Tax is only 10% or 20% so I’ve always assumed they don’t earn enough relevant to what it costs to provide services to them. I agree on living expenses. Far too high. 

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m never sure on that point. Tax is only 10% or 20% so I’ve always assumed they don’t earn enough relevant to what it costs to provide services to them. I agree on living expenses. Far too high. 

Think about the "indirect" too. Bog tax, rates, car tax, passport, electricity, anything that you go to Govt for. All hiked, certainly in last ten years, usually above inflation by their own admissions at the time. Often to cover their own f@ck ups. And then there's gas, if you're unfortunate enough. And it knocks on to businesses supplying the general public, so they're obliged to raise as well.

As previous, Govt pumps in money via PS pay and a few other areas. But private sector gets a freeze. So lots are skint.

Govt policy is fine and dandy, but this is where the reserves are going. Rapidly.

3 hours ago, pongo said:

lol. The IOM wasn't the place to be in the 90s :)

3 hours ago, pongo said:

or most of the 80s.

3 hours ago, pongo said:

Anyhow - a night in with people you know and like has got to be a lot more fun than drinking watery lager in a smoky cattle market listening to a cheesy deejay playing the hits of the 80s.

3 hours ago, pongo said:

Then again, you always put a negative spin on everything. Without fail.

:D O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Think about the "indirect" too. Bog tax, rates, car tax, passport, electricity, anything that you go to Govt for. All hiked, certainly in last ten years, usually above inflation by their own admissions at the time. Often to cover their own f@ck ups. And then there's gas, if you're unfortunate enough. And it knocks on to businesses supplying the general public, so they're obliged to raise as well.

As previous, Govt pumps in money via PS pay and a few other areas. But private sector gets a freeze. So lots are skint.

Govt policy is fine and dandy, but this is where the reserves are going. Rapidly.

Yes I agree it’s the cost of living here that’s the killer (and the cost of feeding IOMG with non tax related payments). I’ve spoken to a few people recently who moved across in the last 2 years and are now looking to move back as the full extent of how costly it is to live here was not really explained on the locate.im website. They got lured by claims of low taxes but found out that if you’re not on £50K a year or more here it’s a struggle compared to the UK even though they’re paying less in direct taxes. 

15 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes I agree it’s the cost of living here that’s the killer (and the cost of feeding IOMG with non tax related payments). I’ve spoken to a few people recently who moved across in the last 2 years and are now looking to move back as the full extent of how costly it is to live here was not really explained on the locate.im website. They got lured by claims of low taxes but found out that if you’re not on £50K a year or more here it’s a struggle compared to the UK even though they’re paying less in direct taxes. 

I think they are moving back as a result of talking to you... :flowers:

14 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

In Tesco buying cheap booze and then home for Netflix or a night on the x-box. 

14 hours ago, pongo said:

Anyhow - a night in with people you know and like has got to be a lot more fun than drinking watery lager in a smoky cattle market listening to a cheesy deejay playing the hits of the 80s.

hence the rise in under 30's needing mental health services.......

Apart from Christmas, and perhaps the occasional bottle of wine or spirits, there used to be a stigma to buying alcohol anywhere other than the pub. 

That stigma was understandable but now it seems that a six pack and/or a bottle or two of wine is the norm. With the high prices in pubs and the fact that the pubs have little to offer over your front room, that is understandable too.  It's still a bit shit though.

20 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Apart from Christmas, and perhaps the occasional bottle of wine or spirits, there used to be a stigma to buying alcohol anywhere other than the pub. 

That stigma was understandable but now it seems that a six pack and/or a bottle or two of wine is the norm. With the high prices in pubs and the fact that the pubs have little to offer over your front room, that is understandable too.  It's still a bit shit though.

Reading between the lines, those that like to drink at home are in all reality - BNM's. Hope that helps...;)

24 minutes ago, gettafa said:

the only thing a pub has over home is the missus won't be there.

Archived