Paramount City up for sale

gettafa

54 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Apart from Christmas, and perhaps the occasional bottle of wine or spirits, there used to be a stigma to buying alcohol anywhere other than the pub. 

That stigma was understandable but now it seems that a six pack and/or a bottle or two of wine is the norm. With the high prices in pubs and the fact that the pubs have little to offer over your front room, that is understandable too.  It's still a bit shit though.

There used to be a stigma about "debt" too, but now it's had a makeover and most people wouldn't function without "credit". They probably buy the alcohol with it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Property in IoM early 80s was surely dirt cheap (relatively)? FS hadn't established, average wage was @£100 a week and it (property) was still at a natural level. Late 80s it started to boom, as did wages but I can't personally remember any massive crashes or repo spells? Interest rates went massive in the early 90s (Norman Lamont and the ERM) but I don't know if it impacted over here?

Some property values trebled between mid '80s and say '92-'93. Absolutely crazy. I recall the estate agents whipping it up. "You won't see these prices again!"

You could buy a decent 3 bed semi with a sea view in mid 80s for mid £20k. By '93 you were looking at £75k-80k, and so it went on..........  To me, it is still defying gravity maybe because, as has been said, the interest rates are so low. Some house price groups groups have reduced since 2010, particularly high end, but it is due a further correction, I feel sure. Mind you, Albert's been predicting massive falls all the time I've been on here and it's never come to that yet.

56 minutes ago, WTF said:

the only thing a pub has over home is the missus won't be there.

/Bernard Manning mode

I said to the missus "I'm going down the pub, get your coat on" 

she said "Oh, are you taking me out?"

"No", I said, "I'm turning the heating off".

24 minutes ago, gettafa said:

/Bernard Manning mode

I said to the missus "I'm going down the pub, get your coat on" 

she said "Oh, are you taking me out?"

"No", I said, "I'm turning the heating off".

Jim Royle said that in the Royle Family.  He may not have been the first however...

Bushy's got knocked back for The Central, as it was brewery  owned and one of their directors had said 'over my body'. In the event, it was too late and the building was sold and made into flats.

Prior to that, The Loch Hotel was a contender, and would have served as a seemless transition from the original place, but it was not to be, probably because of fears from the nearby hotels. The hellhole that is Jaks had set the standard for the area with lots of bouncers and lots of fights, etc. Which makes me wonder, is the level of violence in a pub directly proportional to the number of bouncers it employs (answer is yes btw).

2 hours ago, woolley said:

If I were Martin I would have put that statement out too just for a bit of sport and the free publicity. As a serious venture, not a cat in hell's chance.

That's pretty much what he's done there - and maybe a wind-up for the Brewery.  Apart from anything else, after the Bay I would imagine anything 'in need of total refurbishment' would be enough to put him off for several lifetimes.

Archived