Paramount City up for sale

gettafa

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember pavement queues for Toffs, Paramount and even Nightlife in Ramsey being 50+ yards long, late 80s and mid 90s. Taxis queueing for fares.

2 minutes ago, skins said:

Stand to be corrected, but didn’t Sefton sell it at auction in 2017 for £436k?http://auctions.lsh.co.uk/national/lot/57020

Can't remember. But I certainly remember the new owners (maybe from the Rielly sale?) shouting about the second coming of the place?

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

In Tesco buying cheap booze and then home for Netflix or a night on the x-box. 

Or perhaps they work hard and are putting the money towards buying a flat or a house.

Anyhow - a night in with people you know and like has got to be a lot more fun than drinking watery lager in a smoky cattle market listening to a cheesy deejay playing the hits of the 80s.

8 minutes ago, pongo said:

Or perhaps they work hard and are putting the money towards buying a flat or a house.

Working hard to pay for an overpriced house, or rent an overpriced house, in an economy which is going almost nowhere but allowing people to service debt on average wages would be my second guess after online gaming and Netflix. 

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, I think you're right. They were going to refurb and make it the place to be, with a fanfare IIRC. Obviously offloading another part of the portfolio now.

He threw his lot in with a couple of chancers. From what I remember, he got out pretty quickly before it went downhill fast

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Working hard to pay for an overpriced house, or rent an overpriced house, in an economy which is going almost nowhere

Then again, you always put a negative spin on everything. Without fail.

People could be doing a lot worse. And many certainly were in the 80s here. Have you forgotten? It was grim.

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Working hard to pay for an overpriced house, or rent an overpriced house, in an economy which is going almost nowhere but allowing people to service debt on average wages would be my second guess after online gaming and Netflix. 

Ever considered leaving the island?

15 minutes ago, pongo said:

Anyhow - a night in with people you know and like has got to be a lot more fun than drinking watery lager in a smoky cattle market listening to a cheesy deejay playing the hits of the 80s.

But people back then were working and saving to buy their homes - I was. But I still got to go out to these haunts. As for para 2...no way :lol: 

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Then again, you always put a negative spin on everything. Without fail.

People could be doing a lot worse. And many certainly were in the 80s. Have you forgotten? It was grim. 

Number 6 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-6564969/The-January-property-sale-quiz-highlighting-homes-sale-Zoopla.html

That place in time was not grim at all. Far from it. It was great. So much better than living in the IOM today. A time of speculation and optimism before IOMG wrapped up the whole Island in red tape and self interest to perpetuate IOMG careers. 

14 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Number 6 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-6564969/The-January-property-sale-quiz-highlighting-homes-sale-Zoopla.html

That place in time was not grim at all. Far from it. It was great. So much better than living in the IOM today. A time of speculation and optimism before IOMG wrapped up the whole Island in red tape and self interest to perpetuate IOMG careers. 

I think you are taking the piss.

interest rates went up to something like 17% and lots of young couple lost their houses.

You are not from this time are you? where have you parked your tardis ?

Archived