Understanding the Law

PmJ

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he'd put an electric motor rather than a petrol on it all would have been fine. And Dad a driving instructor as well. You'd have thought he'd have had a bit more knowledge?

1 hour ago, PmJ said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=45530&headline=Today’s Manx Independent: Dad’s anger as cops seize fundraising son’s bike&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

Can't understand why the father is so angry. Did he not check to ensure that the bike his son was riding was legal?

They could just have told him not to use it rather than confiscate it. It does seem heavy handed treatment of a 13 year old kid. 

46 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

They could just have told him not to use it rather than confiscate it. It does seem heavy handed treatment of a 13 year old kid. 

That's one thought. Maybe they didn't want to take the chance of him using it somewhere else so rather than go through it all again at a later date, remove the problem. It's not like teenagers have a history of ignoring advice

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

If he'd put an electric motor rather than a petrol on it all would have been fine. And Dad a driving instructor as well. You'd have thought he'd have had a bit more knowledge?

even a small enough petrol motor is ok  ( or it certainly used to be )  but it had to be less than 23cc IIRC  and not be able to exceed a certain speed unaided.  you used to be able to buy replacement rear wheels that had a motor and fuel tank built in.

1 minute ago, WTF said:

even a small enough petrol motor is ok  ( or it certainly used to be )  but it had to be less than 23cc IIRC  and not be able to exceed a certain speed unaided.  you used to be able to buy replacement rear wheels that had a motor and fuel tank built in.

And I was given one ~ 45 years ago.

Not mine :)

Image result for cyclemaster

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I don't know that they've confiscated it - I think the article said it was taken away for inspection - hence the rather ambiguous work 'seized'.   Presumably they're not sure it it is legal on the road (or maybe at all).  But you'd think that they could have just told them not to use it till further notice.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't know that they've confiscated it - I think the article said it was taken away for inspection - hence the rather ambiguous work 'seized'.   Presumably they're not sure it it is legal on the road (or maybe at all).  But you'd think that they could have just told them not to use it till further notice.

if it has a petrol engine (internal combustion) and is under 50cc then it's legally a moped so must be registered.

Archived