Voting numbers

Nomadic Raptor

There was a suggestion a couple of years ago that PE and PSM could share a Clerk after one retired IIRC. Went down like a lead balloon.

It's the distance you know...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Lonan.

One candidate came to the door, while we were in, but did not manage to knock or ring the bell, just left a card saying "sorry you were out", which gave no information other than his name.

We had no information whatsoever about any of them, other than their home addresses, which are all in the parish of Laxey.

They each did a short piece on Manx Radio (in the Mandate programme), in which 3 (including the winner) talked about Laxey projects, such as the sea wall, and the other 2 said nothing.

None appeared to have any interest in the parish of Lonan. 

No information was delivered to us.

The candidate who got the landslide win with 59 votes was at one time chairman of the Laxey Commissioners. Is it possible he was just aiming to get back into Laxey by the back door? 

All being well, he'll get kicked out in 14 months time.

I saw nothing of any dirty tricks campaigns, other than a couple of big signs that I only saw this morning, which seemed to refer to a certain person's past. If I am correct that the person concerned was not one of the candidates, this was completely irrelevant.

Did any of them deserve a vote?

7 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

They do seem to be over quota a bit on the oddball front. 

If it’s oddballs you want then Insuggest you look at Tynpotwald. Too many of them, elected and some unelected too. Still it’s Manx History and Democracy. 

28 minutes ago, finlo said:

Jesus Christ on a bike, just seen who got in in Lohan it's that cretin who goes around dressed as Sherlock Holmes God help you!

Was he not the bloke that went around sticking the " it is an offence to smoke on these premnises stickers "  and smoking a pipe, when we all went smokeless, he used to work at the point of ayre tip, or am i thinking of someone else ?

46 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

How about having one southern board all paying the same rates, so let’s say Port Erin with 3 persons PSM  2  Rushen1 Arbory1 and join the Towners with Malew together.

Cos then they wouldn't all be able to boast about how much cheaper than each other that they can do the job.

Conveniently forgetting that, as everywhere else on the Island, it leads to multiplication of services which most likely works out more expensive in the bigger picture. But hey, the ratepayers have got plenty left to pay for it. And there's no price on a bit of ego stroking for lots of elected members, is there? 

1 hour ago, LightBulb said:

Was he not the bloke that went around sticking the " it is an offence to smoke on these premnises stickers "  and smoking a pipe, when we all went smokeless, he used to work at the point of ayre tip, or am i thinking of someone else ?

That's him, also brother of "White seagull" of Silverdale tree dwellling fame.

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

That's him, also brother of "White seagull" of Silverdale tree dwellling fame.

FFS, I didn't realise that he was of that family line.

I remember that. Weeks up a tree in Silverdale, ranting about modern society whilst a string of mothers to his kids pulled benefits from the same society.

20 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

FFS, I didn't realise that he was of that family line.

I remember that. Weeks up a tree in Silverdale, ranting about modern society whilst a string of mothers to his kids pulled benefits from the same society.

Was that the same bloke demonstrating / squating on the top of Laxey Wheel many years ago ?

Archived