Voting numbers

Nomadic Raptor

Did anyone see how many people voted in the garff elections?  This winner got 59 votes.  You have to feel for the guy who came 2nd with 57 votes.

my observation though is that this is a pathetic turnout.  It would seem the tried and tested methods of getting people to vote don’t work.  Being an island we can surely lead the way in the world and come up with some new methods to engage voters.  Is it as simple as having s Facebook vote . I would hazard a guess who would get more voters.

maybe one of the candidates for garff might like to give that a go Mr Cronin to see if the results would be different in an unofficially capacity?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basic and hardwired cost benefit analysis - if humans are supreme at anything it is this. The majority of people are comfortable enough to not really care, so the cost / benefit of voting isn't worth it, as we rightly know it will have little if any effect on the outcome no matter who is elected. Even those who should be voting as the current system fails them still know it will make so little difference it's not worth it. Only a change in the system will change that.

15 minutes ago, maynragh said:

Basic and hardwired cost benefit analysis - if humans are supreme at anything it is this. The majority of people are comfortable enough to not really care, so the cost / benefit of voting isn't worth it, as we rightly know it will have little if any effect on the outcome no matter who is elected. Even those who should be voting as the current system fails them still know it will make so little difference it's not worth it. Only a change in the system will change that.

Spot on. Without wishing to insult members of local authorities, their decisions and powers generally have so little impact on most people’s lives that it’s likely that of the c50% of the eligible electorate that actually had remembered there was an election, a small fraction could be bothered to leave their home.

2 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

maybe one of the candidates for garff might like to give that a go Mr Cronin to see if the results would be different in an unofficially capacity?

Since his manifesto was devoid of ideas and states he has no vested interest because he doesn't live and work in Lonan, I guess it will be easy for him to keep those promises. 

I voted :) one of the 19.1% turnout, but the analysis by @maynragh rings true - nobody really cares, commissioners have so little power, and there is too much representation for too small a population.

For instance, 9 commissioners on Port St Mary representing a total population of c. 2,000 ( and maybe 1,750 eligible voters) and they're having awful trouble trying to reduce this to 5 - no wonder nothing gets done!

To suggest elections should be run on social media is silly. Many, myself included, are not on social media.

Some of the material I saw which was produced by Mr Cronin was quite shocking - it was basically vote for me because I've got a personal vendetta against the Chair of the Commissioners!

The situation in the South is daft, Port Erin, Port St Mary and Rushen commissioners. Why? Just have one lot. Most notably stupid is that new estate at the edge of Port Erin, which has different bin emptying days and frequencies depending on which street you live in, and different rates. Bonkers.

27 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

I voted :) one of the 19.1% turnout, but the analysis by @maynragh rings true - nobody really cares, commissioners have so little power, and there is too much representation for too small a population.

For instance, 9 commissioners on Port St Mary representing a total population of c. 2,000 ( and maybe 1,750 eligible voters) and they're having awful trouble trying to reduce this to 5 - no wonder nothing gets done!

To suggest elections should be run on social media is silly. Many, myself included, are not on social media.

Some of the material I saw which was produced by Mr Cronin was quite shocking - it was basically vote for me because I've got a personal vendetta against the Chair of the Commissioners!

This forum is social media.

EDIT: I didn't mean that to come across as being wanky and pedantic; sorry.

I’m not saying social media is the answer but lore an example of a way of doing it to get more people engaged, other examples could be like those tv shows the get people to call up to vote.   

All im saying is that there must be a better way in this day and age to excite the electorate to vote.

during the last Mhk election one mhk came round the whole of our estate during a working day when nobody was in, so he could put through the letter box a note saying sorry I missed you, but vote for me, even though you don’t know who I am.

im just saying there must be a better way to go about this, in just not sure what it is

3 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

It would seem the tried and tested methods of getting people to vote don’t work.  Being an island we can surely lead the way in the world and come up with some new methods to engage voters.  Is it as simple as having s Facebook vote . I would hazard a guess who would get more voters.

Yep, introduce digital media to vote. If you can do your tax return online then you can tick a box to vote too.

28 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Time the Parish politics of the Island were consigned to history.

I would suggest by starting with Tynwald.

1 hour ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

during the last Mhk election one mhk came round the whole of our estate during a working day when nobody was in, so he could put through the letter box a note saying sorry I missed you, but vote for me, even though you don’t know who I am.

That to me is the flaw in our electoral system, the candidates have a huge area to cover on foot in a limited time. It also massively disadvantages disabled candidates who are unable to cover their constituency. 

As far as local authority elections are concerned, we should have one local authority with a representative from each parish. You could say that MHK's fulfill this role and in some cases that's all they do anyway, but they should be concerned with national matters! A single authority would be more cost effective, or at least it should be!

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The situation in the South is daft, Port Erin, Port St Mary and Rushen commissioners. Why? Just have one lot. Most notably stupid is that new estate at the edge of Port Erin, which has different bin emptying days and frequencies depending on which street you live in, and different rates. Bonkers.

There is an advantage being a Rushen rates payer in that they don't for the most part have daft investment schemes & even share a clerk with Arbory - much better value for money

You look at PSM & Castletown Commissioners and you wonder what planet they are on

Archived