Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

14 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

I'm.certain it's not as straightforward as some might like to think it is. I could bore you with the details but quite frankly I can't be arsed.

i'm certain it can't be as complicated as the fuck up they are making it look like.,  and since when have you been a lazy fuck when it comes to boring people , not usually your problem.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

I'm.certain it's not as straightforward as some might like to think it is. I could bore you with the details but quite frankly I can't be arsed.

Listen Ray, you’ve royally fucked up. Do the decent thing and just fall on your sword 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, WTF said:

i'm certain it can't be as complicated as the fuck up they are making it look like.,  and since when have you been a lazy fuck when it comes to boring people , not usually your problem.

This has been  dealt with many times back in this topic. There were concept plans !! But never detailed plans , hence why currently there are a few engineers brought in from across working on plans etc to try and produce plans that enables contractors to work . It's referred to even quite recently on my Prom minutes by the contractor when asked about work schedules  and time lines that when detailed plans are received this can be addressed . Incidentally this was raised as a critiscm on the MUA power station and departments were told then to never go into a contract without detailed plans and true to form nobody listened. This is one of the reasons ,not the only one , why the job has been so piece meal. It's a cluster fuck and just over a year gone and and it's 10 months behind at least ! Expect that figure to grow massively . Another reason and fall out to why they had to dig up the walkway to put in pipes as it was never any intention to do that and in fact DOIhad stated that walkway wasn't been touched .Intrestingly the last board meeting took place on 10th January but as yet no minutes produced so I'm thinking that might make interesting reading .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It amazes me that all the above has to come to pass under the auspices of our in-house "highly qualified" highway engineers from the DOI though, as claimed in recent DOI press releases/criticism putdowns.

However; there is a universe of difference between "highly qualified" and "experienced".

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It amazes me that all the above has to come to pass under the auspices of our in-house "highly qualified" highway engineers from the DOI though, as claimed in recent DOI press releases/criticism putdowns.

However; there is a universe of difference between "highly qualified" and "experienced".

Indeed and maybe one would wonder what those qualifications are and have they much on site experience as it's clear there's a lot lacking on this project. All the qualifications in the world often have no revelance to the real world .

• Like 2

We shouldn't be too harsh on the designers and engineers behind this scheme. 

They initially told their political masters that the scheme would take 4 - 6 years. The politicians told them it 'had to be done' in 2 years. 

It began to fall apart when they forced 4 - 6 in to 2. The lack of detailed plans of what is actually under the Promenade further complicated things. The cherry on top was the insistence of the railways that the horse trams must run. 

All in all the perfect storm. The ultimate omnishambles. The greatest clusterfuck

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, On The Bus said:

We shouldn't be too harsh on the designers and engineers behind this scheme. 

They initially told their political masters that the scheme would take 4 - 6 years. The politicians told them it 'had to be done' in 2 years. 

It began to fall apart when they forced 4 - 6 in to 2. The lack of detailed plans of what is actually under the Promenade further complicated things. The cherry on top was the insistence of the railways that the horse trams must run. 

All in all the perfect storm. The ultimate omnishambles. The greatest clusterfuck

I'm sorry don't buy this !! It's clear with good organization and men on the job it was achievable in the 2 year time span. For sure ! Harmer was quoted as saying there would be 50/60 men on the job at any one time.. it isn't that bigger job really it's only a mile and a half approx . 

When private contractors are held up and stood around because of a lack of plans to work to, it tells its own story. Although if they're being paid from an unregulated pit of taxpayer's cash it might not matter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

This has been  dealt with many times back in this topic. There were concept plans !! But never detailed plans , hence why currently there are a few engineers brought in from across working on plans etc to try and produce plans that enables contractors to work . It's referred to even quite recently on my Prom minutes by the contractor when asked about work schedules  and time lines that when detailed plans are received this can be addressed . Incidentally this was raised as a critiscm on the MUA power station and departments were told then to never go into a contract without detailed plans and true to form nobody listened. This is one of the reasons ,not the only one , why the job has been so piece meal. It's a cluster fuck and just over a year gone and and it's 10 months behind at least ! Expect that figure to grow massively . Another reason and fall out to why they had to dig up the walkway to put in pipes as it was never any intention to do that and in fact DOIhad stated that walkway wasn't been touched .Intrestingly the last board meeting took place on 10th January but as yet no minutes produced so I'm thinking that might make interesting reading .

the pretty pictures at the sea terminal IIRC did appear to show the prom walkway resurfaced in some way ??   i'm referring to the  aerial view type drawings that showed the whole prom width to the beach that they had in  the foyer.  maybe i'm wrong, it was a while ago.  but no self respecting draftsman is going to draw pretty granite paving one side the road and cracked existing naffness the other.