TT radio service 2019

Gagster

So with this year’s TT radio service being broadcast in a different format, what do we expect?  

We know it’s not going to be called Manx Radio TT, but there is also some more detail online too:

For its qualifying coverage, Manx Radio will provide the service beginning at 5.30pm, with pre-qualifying build up, at 6pm to 6.20pm the station will focus on the on-course build up, from which it will present coverage of the session until 9pm followed by 30 minutes of post event coverage.

In total, it will need to provide six qualifying build up, coverage and post analysis shows, four race day coverages for the TT and for the Festival of Motorcycling with build up beginning at 9am and running until the end of the day’s racing and provide public service information when needed.

Reading the above, does this mean it will be a much reduced service?  Basically covering the practice sessions and race days only, without the usual daily themed programming eg. TT Chat Show and Bikers Breakfast?  It looks like in practice week it doesn’t begin broadcasting until 5:30pm. If this is the case, it would be a great shame as I’ve always enjoyed the Manx Radio TT service as it captured the whole 2-week event.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's not going to be called "Manx Radio TT", what is it going to be called? At one time, it was just "Radio TT" and I recall that when they made the change, they said that it had been pointed out to them that according to broadcasting regulations the station had to identify itself in the name specified in its licence, hence "Manx Radio TT." Has that changed, or was it nonsense in the first place?

13 minutes ago, woolley said:

If it's not going to be called "Manx Radio TT", what is it going to be called? At one time, it was just "Radio TT" and I recall that when they made the change, they said that it had been pointed out to them that according to broadcasting regulations the station had to identify itself in the name specified in its licence, hence "Manx Radio TT." Has that changed, or was it nonsense in the first place?

Probably with agreement from the Comms Commission, it can be called anything it wants to be.

There was no mention of Manx Radio when it was badged up as Vauxhall Radio TT.

20 minutes ago, Gagster said:

Probably with agreement from the Comms Commission, it can be called anything it wants to be.

There was no mention of Manx Radio when it was badged up as Vauxhall Radio TT.

But that hasn't happened in recent years, I believe? It's been "Manx Radio TT in association with whoever."

32 minutes ago, woolley said:

But that hasn't happened in recent years, I believe? It's been "Manx Radio TT in association with whoever."

A little while I guess.  It was Vauxhall Radio TT in 2015 and 2016.

Yes. Great atmosphere from the ship and the enthusiasm of the broadcasters comes across. Good mix of music and what a lovely change from wall to wall excruciating adverts. Thanks to Manx Radio and Radio Caroline for doing this.

There was nothing much wrong with the broadcasting MR was doing. It’s the payment side of it that somewhat middies the waters. You’d have thought a publicly funded national broadcaster would have the coverage of such things built into its subventions?

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

There was nothing much wrong with the broadcasting MR was doing. It’s the payment side of it that somewhat middies the waters. You’d have thought a publicly funded national broadcaster would have the coverage of such things built into its subventions?

Unusually I totally agree. :flowers:

Archived