Douglas Promenade during the TT

Rushen Spy

All major works will stop on Douglas Promenade during the TT with parking available as follows:

Loch Promenade: Mainly clear with the exception of some minor barriers

Harris Promenade: The area outside the Sefton Hotel will remain zoned off but will accommodate some motorbike parking and allow access to the crossing point. All other areas clear.

Central Promenade: 400 metres of fencing will remain between Castle Drive and Switzerland Road. No waiting or stopping is permitted on the highway or footpath.

Queen’s Promenade: The horse trams will run s horter route to Switzerland Road - visit www.rail.im for details. No waiting or stopping is permitted on the walkway or highway. There will be some motorbike parking in this area in the designated grass area which will be signposted.

For TT events on Douglas Promenade such as the sand racing or Red Arrows display, please use the Summerland, the Bottleneck or Chester Street car parks. The TT funfair will occupy Loch Promenade walkway so parking will be suspended from Friday 24 May, re-starting on Tuesday 11 June from noon.

The shuttle bus will be suspended for TT re-commencing on Monday 10 June 2019.

For further information, call 686363 or email myprom@gov.im. The public office at the Sea Terminal is open Monday to Friday 9am-4pm.

At first I thought the above might be satire from the "Department of Incompetence" satire page, but it's from the real Department of Infrastructure.  :lol:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, PmJ said:

You’d probably be quicker swimming from one side of the bay to the other

Back in the day I did that on two consecutive years!  Bloody jelly fish got me on both occasions.  Funny, the water wasn't so cold then, nor was snow in the winter.  Or maybe it's me having got old?

Nah.  Surely not!

11 minutes ago, Rog said:

Back in the day I did that on two consecutive years!  Bloody jelly fish got me on both occasions.  Funny, the water wasn't so cold then, nor was snow in the winter.  Or maybe it's me having got old?

Nah.  Surely not!

It was the thought of the jellyfish that prevented me doing it.

Are the horse tram fares going to be massively reduced based on it literally only going about 10 feet? It would be more sensible to cancel the horse trams this year.

Also, why is the more completed side of the Prom works a pinkish colour? Keep the road a proper colour, don't start adding a colour scheme that is going to look ugly.

6 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Are the horse tram fares going to be massively reduced based on it literally only going about 10 feet? It would be more sensible to cancel the horse trams this year.

Also, why is the more completed side of the Prom works a pinkish colour? Keep the road a proper colour, don't start adding a colour scheme that is going to look ugly.

FFS don't start offering suggestions or some stupid SOB in the DoI will decide to delay work, bring in a firm of consultants, increase the cost and implement it - or then decide not to.   At least with Daft Lad Gawne out of the way the probability is reduced though.

If we really want to retain the horse trams in the 21st century, how about expanding the Home of Rest for Horses and incorporating some sort of horse tram based theme park? This would free up the Promenade while still contributing to the island's tourism portfolio.

Are there really people who believe that other than maybe half a dozen anoraks anyone come to the island just to see the horse trams or that if the stupid waste of money were to be consigned to history anyone would not come?

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

They're not coming specifically for the horse trams unless they're mental but I do think it's considered a "part" of the overall "vintage transport" package.

But surley not in TT week, ( although it might be quicker than travelling along the prom by car in TT week ).

2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

If we really want to retain the horse trams in the 21st century, how about expanding the Home of Rest for Horses and incorporating some sort of horse tram based theme park? This would free up the Promenade while still contributing to the island's tourism portfolio.

You realise the Prom is flat and the old horses home is on Richmond Hill

Archived