Is it now time for an all island speed limit?

LightBulb

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

You do realise that editing another individual's posts to change their meaning is beneath contempt, don't you?

Who was that addressed to?

38 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

And the speed thing is red herring, defined.

Better driver training, regular and higher standard of testing. The clear answer on an evidence based approach to policy.

is there a precedent for such measures elsewhere?

Just out of interest. There is a motorcycle skid mark on the Mountain Road on the Hailwood's Rise straight section between the Bungalow and Brandywell. It must be getting on for quarter of a mile long. I rode past it today.

At the Brandywell end, just before the Hailwood bench, it ends in a confusion of yellow accident paint marks, scars in the tarmac and oil stains. It was clearly recently left, possibly during TT?

My point is, I cannot think what sort of speed the motorcycle concerned must have been doing to leave a skid mark of that length before disaster struck. And as to whether it was due to braking or a mechanical failure, I know not. But the speed must have been incredible.

37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just out of interest. There is a motorcycle skid mark on the Mountain Road on the Hailwood's Rise straight section between the Bungalow and Brandywell. It must be getting on for quarter of a mile long. I rode past it today.

At the Brandywell end, just before the Hailwood bench, it ends in a confusion of yellow accident paint marks, scars in the tarmac and oil stains. It was clearly recently left, possibly during TT?

My point is, I cannot think what sort of speed the motorcycle concerned must have been doing to leave a skid mark of that length before disaster struck. And as to whether it was due to braking or a mechanical failure, I know not. But the speed must have been incredible.

It may have been some clown doing a rolling burnout and lost control? It's very unlikely that a motorcycle wheel would be locked under braking for quarter of a mile, although a gearbox locking up would cause a long skid?

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It may have been some clown doing a rolling burnout and lost control? It's very unlikely that a motorcycle wheel would be locked under braking for quarter of a mile, although a gearbox locking up would cause a long skid?

It looks like a skidmark rather a burnout Max, and there are "skips" in it towards the end. Take a look if you're passing that way, I think it'll be there a while :lol:

Jeez, it scared me stupid when my old Royal Enfield Meteor broke its gearbox mainshaft and locked the back wheel at 40mph . I had previous experience on two strokes so always rode with two fingers on the clutch lever even though the Meteor was a four stroke. Didn't stop the wheel from locking though.

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It looks like a skidmark rather a burnout Max, and there are "skips" in it towards the end. Take a look if you're passing that way, I think it'll be there a while :lol:

That happened five minutes after the road reopened two way as I was caught up in the ensuing chaos!

I like the skid marks at Graham’s Memorial where a car has gone too quick (80ish mpg) round the left hander, over steered and gone off the left side of the road, across the grass verge and down into the field below. Must’ve been a proper brown trousers moment when that happened. 

On 6/15/2019 at 9:50 PM, finlo said:

Nothing to see here,  move along.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:40 PM, Chinahand said:

Is there any evidence to bear on this issue what is the mountain road accident rate compared to say the A537.

Does the IOM Police traffic department publish figures on accident rates?  If not why not?

Yes. Each year in the annual report.

And the answer is, regrettably, yes. It was time a decade ago. I like a fast run as much as the next guy, but the current situation is now untenable with the presence of a National Road Safety Strategy. At its most extreme, it is an art.2 issue.

Following the CC on Twitter over TT, i suspect that he will shortly present COMIN with a fait accompli. If at that stage they still resist introduction they are on very unstable ground in terms of their public safety obligations.

Still a need for speed, and track days, along with some marshalled and managed road closures would fill the gap.

I write this as I sit in my garden in North Ramsey, listening to bikes being caned up the Mountain. 

On 6/16/2019 at 5:27 PM, Bobbie Bobster said:

And the speed thing is red herring, defined.

Better driver training, regular and higher standard of testing. The clear answer on an evidence based approach to policy.

And all this too! But it will take decades to reap the benefits.

Worth remembering that speed limits also result in lower emissions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48723302

Archived