Zurich International Redundancies

Manx Bean

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Lights of man's biggest problem was that they just had too much in there. I was sent in there with a firm idea of what I was supposed to get, left with nothing, head absolutely puddled. Too much choice is not always a good thing. Bit over the top expensive too.

I’ve bought a few bits from them recently and thought the prices were fine. But then again I don't get all dizzy and confused when confronted with more than 5 items for sale in a shop ;)

I think we've learned by now that we can't depend on the Government to resolve the island's underlying economic failings. The best thing the Government can do, if anything, is to do nothing, and look to reduce its own running costs so taxes can be reduced even further to attract more economically active/contributing residents. I do think they should bring in some type of commercial rent price controls as perhaps that will help to attract more businesses to move to or remain in central Douglas.

Does anybody "in the know" know if any company is lining up to take over the former Zurich offices on Athol Street? I see it's being done up and the contact for anybody interested is the director of the estate agent rather than just anybody there, so they must consider finding a new leaseholder fairly important (obviously lol). I wonder if they've had any expressions of interest.

Would be interested to know if any expressions of interest have been received for the St Andrews House site as well (Finch Road, across from the Tynwald entrance). It's very well-built and modern looking inside, so I can't see any operational reason why it wouldn't be an ideal site for any business looking to either or expand here. I wonder if this again comes down to price and some property owner thinking a position across from Tynwald somehow affords it some higher premium price. Tip: it doesn't.

Hard to explain why Lights of Mann, Walton's and ATS should just shut down simultaneously, perhaps they all have a March year end leading to hard decisions being reached? 

Either way, it's not a good omen for the island and it's economy by any means.

38 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

The best thing the Government can do, if anything, is to do nothing, and look to reduce its own running costs so taxes can be reduced

They should have been doing this since the VAT loss in 2009. They haven't.

Rather, they've been expanding Government in the name of population growth from what I can see. Fine until the money runs out.

48 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

They should have been doing this since the VAT loss in 2009. They haven't.

Rather, they've been expanding Government in the name of population growth from what I can see. Fine until the money runs out.

They should have done it but they didn't. We can thank successive inept governments for that.

Which is why, much to Donald Trumps (the poster)'s irritation, I have a fairly positive opinion of the current administration. It has, at least, begun some of the things that should have been started by previous administrations over a decade ago. They're not all immediately apparent as some of the changes or reforms are structural (i.e. progressively implemented step by step over a number of years; but at least the steps have started).

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Canaccord are going to occupy a chunk of the old Zurich building,  don't know how much of it.

Interesting.

SMP Group, who are fellow occupiers of the current premises of Canaccord, have recently been expanding and recently had a management buyout.

I imagine Canaccord's relocation will open up more office space to SMP, which is good because it hopefully means that building complex won't become empty because of the relocation.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Hard to explain why Lights of Mann, Walton's and ATS should just shut down simultaneously, perhaps they all have a March year end leading to hard decisions being reached? 

Either way, it's not a good omen for the island and it's economy by any means. 

It's always sad to see local businesses close d own. But I don't think it portends much for the island's overall revenue-raising economy other than following a decades-long decline for small and medium retail operators, being replaced by larger operators. They obviously provide a service to the island and some employment, but in terms of off island revenue flowing in, they don't really add much. These are also companies where they've been family owned and managed so it may also be that they're simply retiring at a time when long-term feasibility of the business model is in question (precluding interest in buyouts).

1 minute ago, Rushen Spy said:

It's always sad to see local businesses close d own. But I don't think it portends much for the island's overall revenue-raising economy other than following a decades-long decline for small and medium retail operators, being replaced by larger operators. They obviously provide a service to the island and some employment, but in terms of off island revenue flowing in, they don't really add much. These are also companies where they've been family owned and managed so it may also be that they're simply retiring at a time when long-term feasibility of the business model is in question (precluding interest in buyouts).

Yes RS, Lights of Mann and Walton's are local companies but ATS is a UK conglomerate, they had two sites here at one time. I think they must have been outwitted by some local upstarts like Quayside Tyres and Formula Fastfit etc? They should have easily been able to undercut their rivals but it may be relating to premises and leases etc? I think Ken Errington still owns the site? 

2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

I think we've learned by now that we can't depend on the Government to resolve the island's underlying economic failings. The best thing the Government can do, if anything, is to do nothing, and look to reduce its own running costs so taxes can be reduced even further to attract more economically active/contributing residents. I do think they should bring in some type of commercial rent price controls as perhaps that will help to attract more businesses to move to or remain in central Douglas.

Does anybody "in the know" know if any company is lining up to take over the former Zurich offices on Athol Street? I see it's being done up and the contact for anybody interested is the director of the estate agent rather than just anybody there, so they must consider finding a new leaseholder fairly important (obviously lol). I wonder if they've had any expressions of interest.

Would be interested to know if any expressions of interest have been received for the St Andrews House site as well (Finch Road, across from the Tynwald entrance). It's very well-built and modern looking inside, so I can't see any operational reason why it wouldn't be an ideal site for any business looking to either or expand here. I wonder if this again comes down to price and some property owner thinking a position across from Tynwald somehow affords it some higher premium price. Tip: it doesn't.

Staff parking problems 

32 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Apparently (cough) Canada Life will be next on the "downsizing" streamlining process.

Damn that cursed Business park relocation to smaller premises in plain sight ruse.......

Canada Life on the island would have gone out of business were it not for the much larger group ownership based in Canada permitting them to sustain losses during the financial crisis. It's questionable why they bothered with the relocation to the Business Park as their staff numbers, as you say, will inevitably continue to be streamlined. Which is kind of a funny scenario because they, like other major (for the island) life assurance and pension companies, are actually understaffed relative to the amount of work coming in. The others are Axa/Utmust and Skandia/Old Mutual/Quilter. It seems like all these major companies are perpetually run by retarded management who want to continue to expand business portfolios while simultaneously streamlining staff. They never seem to learn or to reconcile the two strategies, perhaps due to compartmentalisation in their respective management structures. They al suffer, as well, from a major problem with staff turnover rates while they all simultaneously offer the lowest possible remuneration to staff. You'd think they'd reconcile the two contradictory strategies in both cases. It just goes to show, the government is utterly terrible, but really all organisations beyond a certain size become terrible.  Personally,  I'd like to see more small and medium size businesses, rather than these large scale businesses. Big institutions and hierarchies inevitably result in increased inefficiencies with increased scales.

Archived